Saving moss on rocks while killing algae in pond

Reaction score
I have a small backyard pond that was put in last fall. Rocks that I used around pond have beautiful green carpet moss growning on them. I am starting to see algae growing on the bottom of the pond. There are no fish in this water feature. Does anyone know of an algaecide that will not kill my carpet moss? It adds such character and i really want to save it. I am new to this and any suggestions would be appreciated. Thank you.

Attachments

• 005.JPG
    005.JPG
    104.8 KB · Views: 345

taherrmann4

Tmann
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
You might get some algae on the rocks right by the water level but I would think the others would be fine. The only way I know to get rid of it is to pull it off. I have moss growing in my creek in a few places and I just pull the algae that does get attached off.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
welcome and love how your tank is .You have a liner all around it and it just runs back in the pond .Original idea never saw anything like that before
lshofner95 said:
I have a small backyard pond that was put in last fall. Rocks that I used around pond have beautiful green carpet moss growning on them. I am starting to see algae growing on the bottom of the pond. There are no fish in this water feature. Does anyone know of an algaecide that will not kill my carpet moss? It adds such character and i really want to save it. I am new to this and any suggestions would be appreciated. Thank you.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
more pics and info on your pond we like new ideas people give us .more pics don't make me beg .PLEASE :razz:

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
do you have fish peroxide kills it to a certain point and just a little won't hurt fish .But you can remove it with a toilet bowl brush .I just put a peroxide in a spray bottle and do selective spraying and brush a little and hose it off and most times it will just turn white and go into your filter dead .

Reaction score
Thank you so much for the information. I will post some more pics in the next few days. Like i said, i am completely new to this. I might need some hand holding along the way!

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
We are here for anything and everything and try to help the best we can .We love helping other pond lovers to get where they want to go with there ponds .Just be careful when you spray and I have moss and so far has not harmed it .Turned it a little white when the wind blew the spray a little but wettened it real fast and it bounced back .Just make sure there is very little breeze don't make my mistake .I even had some that I got overspray of bleach and water when I cleaned my vinyl siding and it came right back .

Reaction score
Thanks sissy. Everywhere i look there is information about how to kill carpet moss, but nothing about sustaining it. I'm hoping this weekend, with weather permitting, to clean my pond out. It looks like what is growing so far I may be able to get out with net. Just want to keep a jump on it. Dont want it to turn into a slime pit!!

Ask a Question