Saving wild baby bunnies

Reaction score
It is that time of year when the baby bunnies will be born and I was wondering if any of you have bunnies and have you ever had to care for the babies when something happened to the mom?..I only ask this because we have tons of rabbits and one year I found a very tiny bunny and contacted a wild life rehabilitator to come get it and she never showed up so it died :( I love animals and I know some things should be left to the "professionals" but I also think I could have done something myself. So what are your opinions on this matter? Let nature take it's course and leave it or take it in,nurse it and let it go?

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Here is a very long but interesting article on wild baby bunny care
bunnyjump.gif

http://www.2ndchance.info/bunnies.htm

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Keep powdered kitten milk and a kitten bottle close by, It will work to help keep them alive until you can get the proper milk, The actual proper milk is made for rabbits and squirrels but I haven't found it in powder form so it ends up going bad most of the time. It's usually best if possible to let them be, Mom in most cases will come find them after dark if they aren't handled, If they are the human scent is strong and mom usually won't return. You bottle feed them just like a kitten and can be sucsessful, but It's a long shot and they are wild and will act that way once they get bigger, They seldomly get tame.

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
j.w said:
Here is a very long but interesting article on wild baby bunny care
bunnyjump.gif

http://www.2ndchance.info/bunnies.htm

GREAT ARTICLE! Once of the best I have ever read! and most of the info could be used for squirrels too! Amber I recommend this article, a lot of great info for sure and i read nothing I wouldn't 100% agree with and that is coming from experience with raising many orphans..

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
gosh quite tonight I guess friday nights are for people going out to eat and stuff yet .I guess I have gotten to used to the country life .I thought I would never get used to it being brought up in NJ and used to the hussel and bussel of city life .After 6 years now I love this life .But I do plan on going up to NJ after I close on the house here .Going to AC to visit friends and walk on the beach .Collect sea shells to bring home

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I love country life, never have been a big city gal, even in phoenix lived on the edges of the city. Here we are rural very few houses, mainly woods and farms. love it!

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I love country life too addy but I do miss my friends and I also miss taking long strolls on the beach picking up sea shells and other things that wash up there .I like the shore areas around Little Egg Harbour in NJ and staying at friends there . Hereing the ocean waves come crashing in and gulls singing and dancing around you for food

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
We, luckily, can get to the ocean here pretty fast. I love the ocean also.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
bad thing about ocean are storms and that now if you buy a house or own house within so many blocks of the beach you pay hurricane insurance friends in NJ near AC pay 6 thousand a year now .I guess the more you get hit the more you pay they are the ones I have been trying to find a house for also .I may have found them something to .11.36 acres house and koi ponds 2 of them 84 thousand could get it for less close to foreclosure

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Storms here on the ocean and even on Puget Sound can make a real mess. We live near the sound but not near enough to be in danger of water damage or anything :rolleyes:

Reaction score
Thanks J.W and Larkin I read the article and it is a very informative article..I just like to be prepared since we do have so many rabbits around here along with other critters(foxes,etc) I will be getting that kitten milk and a bottle to keep around.

Reaction score
I had raised six wild bunnies. I used a 3:1 formula of goats milk and whipping cream. Fed them in the morning and at night. They grew quickly and became VERY active. They loved going outside to eat clover and grass.

Reaction score
I have tons of rabbits in my yard because I have clover..most of my neighbors have their yards treated to get rid of clover so they just come to my yard..I don't do chemicals :lol:

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
We had a black snake that lived under our air conditioning unit for years. One day I heard a squeeking noise and went outside to find the snake had a baby rabbit in it's mouth. The snake dropped the rabbit when it saw me. The rabbit was very young, about 2 inches long, but was fully furred. She was missing one ear and had puncture wounds in the other ear. We named her Miracle. I fed het for several weeks with kitten replacement milk and when she got old enough to wean, I started putting grass and other greens in the cage. Once she was eating the grass and stuff, I started taking her outside and showing her where all the "good stuff" was in the yard. As Miracle got older, she became wilder and wilder, and I started putting her outside in a dog carrier at night with the door open. One morning she was gone. We saw her a couple of times after we let her go, but it's been a few years since we've seen her.

Ask a Question