Savio biofilter is leaking

Reaction score
Hello all. I just noticed a hairline crack in my Savio biofilter that is leaking water. Any ideas on what to use to repair this? I was looking at bond but it doesn't seem to work on plastic....

Thanks!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
They have that gutter spray sealant,I think it is called flex seal that may work but I have never used it. BTW where is it cracked/leaking, Did it freeze and crack or just from age? I have a few Savio filters also so just want to keep an eye out.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
yeh that flex seal works .I sealed a stock tank 4 years ago and it is still holding and it was 300 gallons ..But I did let it dry for 4 days and sprayed it again and then again 4 days just to make sure

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Good to know flex seal works, they also have kayak repair sticks that you use a heat gun with. May be another way to go also.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
There was a thread on this subject on Koiphen. Huge cracks in a Savio and the poster didn't want to replace it, as the collar was fitted through masonry work built into his pond. He repaired it with plastic welding......I believe he bought HDME ( sp") welding sticks . It was an interesting post, featuring pictures at each step of the way.

waynefrcan

19 years ponding and hopefully 4 more!
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
Wow looks like SAvio products don't like cold winters much.. My savio skimmer box has a crack in it as well I found out today. Haven't found it yet but water is dropping inside so it's not a faceplate leak. Not very thrilled about this, it's only 4 years old. Warranty is 5 years so maybe it will get replaced. IF not what is a good repair method that works for this plastic pvc?

Thks
W

Last edited:

waynefrcan

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
yeh that flex seal works .I sealed a stock tank 4 years ago and it is still holding and it was 300 gallons ..But I did let it dry for 4 days and sprayed it again and then again 4 days just to make sure
IS that product only from TV or in stores yet?

waynefrcan

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
Both skimmer boxes are leaking, I'm going to kill myself if the 2 Savio biofilter waterfalls are leaking as well!!!!

waynefrcan

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
There was a thread on this subject on Koiphen. Huge cracks in a Savio and the poster didn't want to replace it, as the collar was fitted through masonry work built into his pond. He repaired it with plastic welding......I believe he bought HDME ( sp") welding sticks . It was an interesting post, featuring pictures at each step of the way.
Do you have the link?

waynefrcan

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
good ideas-- will try this weekend. It is a crack that could have been from freezing, although any ice in there had room to expand, so not sure. The filter is about 5 years old. Will take a photo and post.

Thanks for all your help!
Looks like the 4-5 year mark is all these things will take with freezing winter climates, crap!

Ask a Question