Savio large skimmer owners tip

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
I found something yesterday working on the pond. I have noticed my levels in the skimmer were down a bit from normal and I had the basket cleaned and the filter cleaned, I say this because if they are mucked up then the levels can be down a little when this occurs. No big deal clean everything and levels are good again. However yesterday was not the case. I pulled the basket out and reached down to where there are some cut outs (near the very bottom). This is the area where the UV tubes go and they were filled with debris, no sure how it got there or it just could have been over time. I cleaned them out and boy what a difference, levels are perfect in the skimmer box now. I would have never thought about checking that area out but glad I did. I also put the hose with the nozzle on and put in down the hole for the UV's and cleaned it that way too. I doubt that will need to be cleaned a lot but something to keep on the list.

Maybe this is a known thing but figured I would share it anyway.

BTW that water was so cold, instantly hurt. I do not know how the fish do it.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
Good info, never thought about that. I use their UV lights in those cut outs. Hubby has everything dug up, as we're trenching a line to the new sand & gravel filter, so probably a good time for me to check it out!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I found something yesterday working on the pond. I have noticed my levels in the skimmer were down a bit from normal and I had the basket cleaned and the filter cleaned, I say this because if they are mucked up then the levels can be down a little when this occurs. No big deal clean everything and levels are good again. However yesterday was not the case. I pulled the basket out and reached down to where there are some cut outs (near the very bottom). This is the area where the UV tubes go and they were filled with debris, no sure how it got there or it just could have been over time. I cleaned them out and boy what a difference, levels are perfect in the skimmer box now. I would have never thought about checking that area out but glad I did. I also put the hose with the nozzle on and put in down the hole for the UV's and cleaned it that way too. I doubt that will need to be cleaned a lot but something to keep on the list.

Maybe this is a known thing but figured I would share it anyway.

BTW that water was so cold, instantly hurt. I do not know how the fish do it.
Thanks for the information..... I was wrong about how I thought the flow went in a Savio skimmer..... Checked the outlets they were clear..... Thanks

waynefrcan

19 years ponding and hopefully 4 more!
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
I have to clean out my SAvio box's twice a week. They really work good at collecting floating algae etc. Never did use my UV device as it kills good bacteria.

Last edited:

Ask a Question