Savio pond package

Reaction score
OK, I've been looking at purchasing individual parts or buying a kit. The noobie in me is attracted to the simplicity of getting a kit, but most of them are more expensive than buying the separate parts especially when looking at quality equipment.

I have found a Savio kit for $750 with free shipping for the size pond I'd like to create that seems to be a good deal:

550 Gallons Includes:
Compact Skimmerfilter
16 Waterfall Weir
Skimmerfilter 6"Faceplate
45 mil. EPDM Liner 10 x 15
Underlay 10X 15
1 x 25" Kink Free Hose
Construction Guide
Plumbing Kit
Beneficial Bacteria/Barley Extract
Water Master Solids Pump 1450

Thoughts?

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
I think I would ask if you could get the bigger face plate, The larger the opening the easier it is for the fish to swim in and out and the more surface area it will sweep. Mine was added at no additional charge. Also you will need some type of filter material for the filter falls, such as bio balls, matala, cut up PVC, mesh, what ever. You need a good area for the bacteria to grow. For your size pond I would recommend the UV light that fits the unit. Most new ponds go thru a algae cycling period and this will help control it. getting it with the kit will save on additional shipping later but. If not wanted at this time it can always be run without and added later. I'm not real sure on the 16 waterfall weir, Be sure you at least get one that can filter through the falls, It's efficient, and works great on plant and goldfish ponds. Note, some water fall weirs are just that the start of the water fall, some have a large area for you filtration media, that's more the one you will need with that set up. Two more items I do recommend, get a good test kit for your water, and dechlorinator if your using city water. neither cost much are available at most pet stores and can save many if not all your fish. Off hand what size pond are you planning on? LxWxD? Just making sure on liner size.
It's a lot easier if you keep your build in one post, to go back and look at additional information for reference.

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
DoDad said:
With larger face plate and that pump it would not skim as well.

Can you please explain why? I was told the same thing and the company recommended a larger pump with larger weir door. I went with the recommended pump and now I'm actually pumping border line too much water through mine. I feel like a larger door removes more surface but as this is my first time using a skimmer I'm intrested in learning the in's and out's and do's and don't's as well. This may help crazyrabbit as well. I'm going to be building another pond in the future and may use one large or two smaller skimmers, This would be very helpful in looking at differenet options. Thanks

Reaction score
Alright, now that it's daylight and I went out and measured this kit is too small. I'm hoping to have a 16' long by 7' wide by 2' deep size for the waterfall, possible small stream and pond. My Dad keeps telling me that I should start small, but I had that experience with fish tanks - I got a 10 gallon and realized in about a month that that was waaaay too small. But at least I could use the small tank for quarantining new fish. What would I do with a pond that's too small?!

And thanks for the advice for keeping all my posts in one thread, this one's done.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
I agree w/ you..............sorry dad....................but I started out w/ a smaller pond and w/in the year I wanted it bigger..................trouble is now I want it even bigger............it never ends, lol :rolleyes:
I'm not going to make it bigger tho as it's a lot of work and more money and I can live w/ what I have so just keep that in mind........if you start out wayyyyyyyyyyy big you will be happy a lot longer :banana:

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Go BIG krazyrabbit! you won't regret it.

taherrmann4

Tmann
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Have to agree with the above posts, don't settle on a small one build it the first time the size you want b/c you will regret it in a year. Then you will be spending more money and time redoing it. Lay it out and try to visualize it from all angles, sleep on it and then look at it again make any tweeks etc. I also drew mine up on paper and had where all the plants trees etc were going to go becuase this is all part of making your pond look natural, and keep in mind when planting your plants that they may seem small now but what about in 5 or 10 years how big will that tree be? Planning out from the beginning will save you money and keep you from having to cut a tree down becuase it is the wrong type got to big or drops too many leaves, there is so much to plan out. In my notebook I have every one of my schetches with all the different variations, I look back at it sometimes too see how it has evolved over time.

Ask a Question