Savio skimmer and UV

Jkm

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5-6
Country
United States
Does anyone here use a Savio skimmer filter with the UV lights installed?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
I do. Some summers I don't need to run the UV very often, but it's nice in case I do need it. I like how nicely it's concealed within the skimmer. I think an earlier model had problems with catch fire, but I researched prior to buying mine a couple years ago and didn't find any recent concerns.

Jkm

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5-6
Country
United States
Great. We’re having some problems with ours, so I’d like to ask you some questions about your setup.

First, is the light bulb completely encased in the black plastic housing, or can you see any UV light shining through anywhere?

Second, does the water level in your skimmer come up to the top of the UV bulb, so the bulb is completely immersed in water?

Third, does the water flow in the skimmer direct or force the water to go past the entire bulb on its way out?

Thanks,
Julia

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
Great. We’re having some problems with ours, so I’d like to ask you some questions about your setup.

First, is the light bulb completely encased in the black plastic housing, or can you see any UV light shining through anywhere?

Second, does the water level in your skimmer come up to the top of the UV bulb, so the bulb is completely immersed in water?

Third, does the water flow in the skimmer direct or force the water to go past the entire bulb on its way out?

Thanks,
Julia
Hmmmmmm, I'm going to have to look at it tomorrow and get back to you with specific information.

In answer to question #1, I can see the UV light shining through an opening if I'm leaning forward over the net basket.

I think the water flows past it on it's way from the skimmer. What types of problems are you having with yours?

Jkm

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5-6
Country
United States
Well, the two 50W bulbs in my large Savio don’t work nearly as well as my two 36W OASE Vitronic external units work, but the externals have large hoses going on and out of the pond - doesn’t look wonderful.

Today I found the water level lines on the skimmer faceplate, and clearly the water level is too low. My husband knows this (I didn’t), and is going to raise the perimeter and water level in the pond, which should fully immerse each bulb in water (I hope).

But my issue with the light being visible is that visible light is escaping rather than bouncing around inside a closed tube killing algae cells. Also, if the water is simply flowing past the bulbs rather than being spiraled around the bulb, the algae cells have less exposure to the UV light which makes those expensive bulbs far less efficient. If that is how the Savio skimmer is designed, I would call it a design flaw, and I need to fix that somehow.

I have an email off to Savio tech support - we’ll see if they reply.
I appreciate your help,
Julia

Jkm

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5-6
Country
United States
Turns out there is no Savio tech support. The email address is a dead link - email was “undeliverable”.

I’m done with Savio UV. The skimmer is good, but their UV setup and bulbs are just not efficient. Unfortunately, that’s $800 worth of bulbs that apparently they will not take as a return even though they don’t work.

Thanks again for your information about how yours works.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
Turns out there is no Savio tech support. The email address is a dead link - email was “undeliverable”.

I’m done with Savio UV. The skimmer is good, but their UV setup and bulbs are just not efficient. Unfortunately, that’s $800 worth of bulbs that apparently they will not take as a return even though they don’t work.

I've spoken on the phone with Savio support, back when I was using their Savio Living Ponds filter. Were you able to find a phone # or call customer support. They were pretty helpful to me when I needed the help.

Jkm

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5-6
Country
United States
No, I haven’t seen a phone number. When I took the bulbs out I looked at everything carefully, and as a microbiologist it just doesn’t look like an efficient setup, with the light leaking out and the water not captive. Not enough UV exposure to the individual cells.
Also I suspect if I spoke with someone they would tell me to raise the water level, which means either raising the water level in the whole pond or sinking the skimmer lower, either of which is more work than I want to go. I just want the water clear. Oh, well, it was a try that just won’t work out here.
I appreciate your help. :)
Julia

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States

Anjo and Savio company's merged give Anjo a call@ 1-800-553-5605

Ask a Question