Saw the darnedest thing...

slakker

AKA Mike
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Was at the local koi expert last weekend and watched him provide "vet" care to a koi... someone drove over a hour with their beautiful 2 feet long butterfly koi because it had a 1.5 inch ulcer on it's side. He tested water then took slide scrapping, looked for parasites but only found bacterial infection. Then administered Baytril via injection near it's anal vent... he had the "touch" as this fish barely struggled when he flipped it over. He was explaining how injection at this site is better than directly into muscle for better absorption, except if it's a pregnant female...

I never even thought you could do that!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
It may well be the darndest thing you saw but did he explain how this koi got an ulcer in the first place?
Nines out of ten they dont just appear but are the result of either poor water quality overcrowding temperature fluctuation etc that have the effect of stressing the koi out and the bacteria present .
The bacteria in question being the Areomonas Hydrophila which results ecause of the above reasons the above, Baytril is my own drug of choice and the site of the injection again would be my choice, however these ulcers can be avoided and the way to avoid them is constant vidulance on the behalf of the koi keeper and to ensure the water is of the highest standards you can get.
This requires constant maintenance of the pond, water changes, water testing, maintenance of your filtration etc.
However I will fault this dealer in that the koi should have been first sedated injected and the wound cleaned before applying medication to the wound, we here in the UK use an ozonated gel called Koi Clear Gel.
It is in effect the holy grail of ulcer treatments and it clears an ulcer in just two applications, I introduced this on a South African website (it has to be bought in bulk)but the feedback we got from it was phenominal in that it does what it says on the box so to speak it cleared up every koi they had with ulcers.
If anyone is interested it may be an idea to mention it to koi dealers who may then bulk order from the UK.
It is based on Japanese human treatment with Ozonated gel (I tried it on a cut to my finger whch cleared in record time).
Once you have used it you'll never go back to any other treatment a tub though small costs £25.00 UKP's but this small tub will treat up to 50 koi and is well worth the money you pay for it.
It has one draw back and that is it has to be kept in the fridge when not being used.
I've linked this post into the website about it :-

http://www.absolute-koi.com/subcat2086.html

Ask your dealer you know it makes good sense

rgrds

Dave

slakker

AKA Mike
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
He suspected it was water (his mantra to me was the 3 most important thing is water, water then water)...

He tested the water which was good, but didn't make sense. When he talked to the koi owner, he found out that the water he tested was well water he pumped to the bucket that morning. So he asked they test the pond water as the owners only topped up, so the with evaporation, it was potentially concentrating any pollutants. Same problems I have with my in door reef.

Crowding wasn't a problem, so with out parasite, he was pointing it back to something in the water.

I'll talk to him about this stuff, see what his thoughts are...

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
If he wishes to talk to someone about it I would suggest Pieter Odendall http://www.koi4u.co.za he was the man I told you about who bought a bulk load in South Africa .
I promise you this is one wonderful product .
I had one koi with an ulcer when I did the change over from indoors to outdoors it clared it in one application not two.

rgrds

Dave

Ask a Question