Scales missing/bone and muscle exposed

Reaction score
Country
United States
I'm trying to figure out what happened to one of my fish and whether it's a fish-on-fish injury or a bacterial/parasitic infection. The fish were fine this morning, and I didn't notice any bullying or sickness when feeding. But several hours later, this little guy was floating on his side with parts of his coloration and scales missing as well as what looks like chunks taken out of him. I have koi and goldfish, and they're all roughly the same size at this point, within a couple inches. He's still alive, so I separated him, gave him a bubbler, and added Epsom salt to his water, but I don't know if he's got a chance or whether I should treat the whole pond. I'm about to test the water and will update if it's not normal. Has anyone seen this or does anyone have advice? Thank you!

Attachments

• 20151104_154346.jpg
    20151104_154346.jpg
    109.1 KB · Views: 261
  • 20151104_154152.jpg
    20151104_154152.jpg
    92.6 KB · Views: 260
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
Without knowing anything else about your pond, it looks like mechanical damage to me.
The fish looks like it was in a weakened state already and perhaps got stuck on a pump intake.

peter hillman

Let me think for minute....
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
3-5
Country
United States
I don't thinks salts will save the little guy, it does look like it went for a ride thru the pumps. Or a predator tried to eat it.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Thanks for the quick reply! He couldn't fit through the filter and predators can't get to the pond because it's screened in, so the other fish must have gone for him. :/ He died soon after I wrote the post, so I'll keep an eye on the others and hope things get back to normal.

Ask a Question