Scarecrow idea

Patfish

Ignore the mask and cape
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
I saw a motion activated sprinkler that scares birds away and it looks like it would work but...I don't want my garden hose on all the time.
I was thinking of a pump in the pond that is motion activated. The spra would be on the edges of the pond pointing toward the center. The spray would be like a fan spray. It would come on for a few seconds like a motion light. Just enough to frighten away a bird or cat and the water would just return to the pond.
Do yall think that is doable? Or ya think it would work at all? Has it been tried before?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
PatF; I use scarecrows in my yard to help keep the deer away. In my case, I DO have hoses on all the time. I HAVE had issues, mainly because the plastic they use on the riser tube is crappy. Once I replaced those with something more sturdy, no problems. Don't know re your case as I'd think the pump would have to be the one with the sensor. That is, when the sensor is triggered, the pump starts up and in this case, you wouldn't need the 'scarecrow' product, just a sprinkler. Now, if you're talking about making your 'hose' a line FROM your pond pump, I think that would work.

And you wouldn't need an additional solar pump or whatnot, just install a tee in the main line, reduce it down to hose coupling size, then attach to your scarecrow. When no motion/sensor action, the line is just filled and ready to go. When activated, the solenoid on the scarecrow would open and the sprinker fires. You prob still have to make sure you're protected in case of a leak as you don't want your pond to empty. If you had a float switch on your pump (whether you use your main and a tee, or an aux pump), this would stop all pumping in case you lost X amount of water. The float switch can be 'tied' to whatever length (therefore, depth lost/remaining) you need. I have mine so it cuts off the pump when 12" or so is lost.

So, there IS some real potential problems re the 'hose always on' -- I've had them (but am on a well, so less of an issue than if you were on city water) but still use them. That said, I'm contemplating NOT using them this year but only because they seem to work erratically the longer I have them. Haven't got more than a year or two out of any of them. And, if you go this route, look for the solar powered ones and you'll be happy you don't have to swap out batteries. I like them better.

btw, if you DO go the 'hose always on' route, it helps to 'bury' the hose so it doesn't heat up as much. Plus, don't get anything cheap--go rubber and/or reinforced and you won't have burst issues.

Michael

Patfish

Ignore the mask and cape
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
I ws thinking just a fiuntan head on a small pump with motion sensor on the power og the pump. Didnt think of using an actual scarecrow device.
Didnt think of draining the pond issue.
Maybe hang the small pump just below water level so if bad things happen, it would starve the pump first

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
definitely (at least) keep the secondary pump high enough, but if your 'spray' is only going to end up in the pond anyhow, I don't know I'd really worry (unless your fountain head is out of the pond). Are you doing this for herons, raccoons, etc? If so, I'd make sure the 'spray' is fairly obtrusive. Normally, if a 'scarecrow' goes off, it hits whatever with a good burst. Also, the ratcheting sound annoys them too.

Ask a Question