scary bug in my pond

Reaction score
I am cleaning my pond and in my 55 gallon bio filter i find these bugs. there are quite a few of them. they are brown and green in color. what are they?

Attachments

• 20120810_195652.jpg
    20120810_195652.jpg
    31.1 KB · Views: 2,374
  • 20120810_195717.jpg
    20120810_195717.jpg
    26.5 KB · Views: 1,091
  • 20120810_195726.jpg
    20120810_195726.jpg
    23.6 KB · Views: 1,141

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
They are good bugs, might eat a real small fry or two, but great predators! they will overwinter as bugs and hatch out next summer as dragon flies. Then the dragon flies will scarf mosquitoes, flies etc and are fun to watch!

Reaction score
Here is a pic of their transformation:

:goldfish:

Attachments

• Blue Dasher Larva 2.jpg
    Blue Dasher Larva 2.jpg
    7.8 KB · Views: 769
  • Regal Darner Emerging 1.JPG
    Regal Darner Emerging 1.JPG
    13.6 KB · Views: 682
  • Regal Darner Emerging 2.JPG
    Regal Darner Emerging 2.JPG
    31.7 KB · Views: 679
  • Blue Dasher Female 2.JPG
    Blue Dasher Female 2.JPG
    25.3 KB · Views: 680
  • Regal Darner Emerged 4.JPG
    Regal Darner Emerged 4.JPG
    48.2 KB · Views: 528

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Glad to know, 'cause if I saw them don't know that I would let then stay otherwise. Those are some creepy looking critters!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Funny that is what baby dragonflies look like. I never would have thought they would start out so creepy and end up so cool. Enjoy your flying friends. :)

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
An ugly little duckling turned into a beautiful swan..............uh, dragonfly anyways :luxlove:

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Just my two cent of info on this subject. they could be Dragonfly or they could be Damsel fly larvae. Both look very similar. BUT both don't eat the same in the pond or when flying. Dragon fly nymphs can actually catch and kill fish up to a full inch in size, they also eat tadpoles, snails, and anything else they can catch that is living. usually in a well balanced pond they do very little damage to the fish and plants that we add. It's the stuff born in the pond that has the biggest worries. Damsel fly larvae very seldom eat fish or tadpoles from my understanding. they prefer other aquatic larvae such as mosguito, dragonfly's, midgefly, etc. they are the balancer of the insect world I guess you would say. BTW, love the pics of the morphing or emeging of the adult!

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Well one way to have fry population control! They don't seem to be affecting my population of trap doors, finding a ton of tiny ones. Maybe they are eating the other snails hanging around.

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Addy, they are opportunist feeders. they sit and wait for something they can reach out and grab. They aren't going to waste a lot of energy chasing a fish down and it many cases may pas by on a snail if there is other food available. I think your pond is probably so well balanced that you pretty much have a complete working eco system. A few missing snails, a few snagged goldfish, a tadpole here or there isn't going to be missed.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
lol larkin, i could lose a bunch of stuff and never miss a thing. Everybody lives in happy harmony, eat if hungry ow share the water!

Reaction score
Just my two cent of info on this subject. they could be Dragonfly or they could be Damsel fly larvae. Both look very similar. BUT both don't eat the same in the pond or when flying. Dragon fly nymphs can actually catch and kill fish up to a full inch in size, they also eat tadpoles, snails, and anything else they can catch that is living. usually in a well balanced pond they do very little damage to the fish and plants that we add. It's the stuff born in the pond that has the biggest worries. Damsel fly larvae very seldom eat fish or tadpoles from my understanding. they prefer other aquatic larvae such as mosguito, dragonfly's, midgefly, etc. they are the balancer of the insect world I guess you would say. BTW, love the pics of the morphing or emeging of the adult!

Those pics are dragonlfy nymphs. Damselflies are skinnier. (Sorry, I'm an entomologist so I wanted to clarify). Either could eat tiny fish, but are more likely to go for other insects and smaller, safer prey.

Ask a Question