Scored me some rock last night.

ididntdoit99

ididntdoit99
Reaction score
So I happened to check craigslist right before I left work yesterday, and I see an add for free rock, open it up and see this POND PIC.JPG The ad says tearing out three ponds, giving away all sorts of rock. So I call the guy and say im responding to your craigslist ad, and he says which one? I actually have a bunch of rock im giving away, im selling koi, and a lot of my pond stuff. I tell him I need to go home and grab my trailer and I will be down in a bit. I walk into this guys backyard, and it is quite amazing, this piture is of the main ppond with the koi in it, this is a small backyard and it is completely filled with ponds. on small one with goldfish (feeders) the main one with the koi, and a small one at the end for turtles (painters, and then box turtles wandering the entire backyard) yard was fenced in, with the fence buried partway underground, the gate has a mesh thing under it so no turtles could escape. It was really amazing. He said he was selling the house, and the person buying it was using it for rental property, and needed all the ponds gone otherwise the liability insurance would cost too much. There is a little hut on the left side of the picture, it was really cool, im not sure if housed all of his filtration or or if was for his kids to play in, im assuming filtration. I loaded up the trailer with rock, and then i said so what do you have left for koi? He showed me some beautiful fish, of course I couldn't tell you thier names, but three over them were probably 15 inches long, then there were some smaller ones that were also very nicely colored. I asked him about a couple, he only wanted $30 for the big ones, $40 for one of the smaller very defined ones. I called the fiance up and said should I buy one or two? She said "do whatever you want" in that you're about to get in trouble tone. :) So I passed on the fish yesterday, but he literally has TONS more rock to remove, and I told him I would give him a call on friday, come down and get another load, and bring my fiance, and if he had any fish left, she would be a lot easier to convince if she saw them first. I hope he some something left, those were some nice fish, but either way, i will get some more rock on friday. I also want to ask him more about his setup, he was pretty busy trying to catch fish and turtles, and drain the ponds, so hopefully on friday he will have a little more time and I can talk to him about his setup. It seemes the three ponds were connected with streams, but somehow he had open on valve and closed another and actuualy had the top and bottom ponds drained, but the middle one still full with the fish in it.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
wow you scored big time and what a shame that is a really nice looking pond by the pic .Some set up he must have had

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
you do know theres alot of people in prison for scoring rocks... oh crap.. i should read the post too. not just the title...lol... i guess theres no need to suggest a rehab!... seriously tho, nice find!

ididntdoit99

ididntdoit99
Reaction score
Now that I'm sitting here thinking more about it... I really should have spent the money on some of those fish. Hopefully he still has some on friday when I go down there or I'll be kicking myself.

Although we are planning and saving for our vacation to California right now, and I'm sure I saved myself a good talking to by only coming home with FREE rock instead of FREE rock and a bucket of FISH. :) I think if i can get her to go down ther with me on friday and she sees them though, I'll be golden. SHe is just like me when we walk into a pet store, they all look cool, and we want to keep taking them all home even when we didnt have enough room in the pond.

ididntdoit99

ididntdoit99
Reaction score
wow you scored big time and what a shame that is a really nice looking pond by the pic .Some set up he must have had

Wow, did he ever! I have seen alot of nice pond pictures on this site, but I have seen very few ponds in person, cept my own, and my grandparents and my uncles. I like to say I have a pond in my backyard... this guys backyard was a pond, lol There was nowhere to mow, everything was ponds or paths around the ponds. I hope my yard could be as beautiful someday.

I was supposed to get ahold of a guy sometime this week. He was a landscape designer at Earl May for many years, and finally decided he was sick of them making all the money off of his designs and has started his own small landscaping business, he is still doing it part time right now while working his regular job in a factory. I have known him for about 10 years, and he has brought me in on a couple of jobs when he needed extra help, anyway, point of the story (man i got off topic easy) I told him that I'm not good at the whole designing part, I can do the work, and have for many years, but that when a customer (or family member mostly) tells me "i want this to look like this, and i want it here" But if he could draw up some plans of things he thinks would look good around my place he wouldnt have to worry about paying me for the last job I helped him do.

So hopefully this weekend he can stop by, take a look around and draw me up some plans of some things I can do around the house, I really havent done much of anything for landscaping around my house except the pond area, so I'm excited to get some professional advice.

ididntdoit99

ididntdoit99
Reaction score
you do know theres alot of people in prison for scoring rocks... oh crap.. i should read the post too. not just the title...lol... i guess theres no need to suggest a rehab!... seriously tho, nice find!

my fiance is taking classes right now to get a psycology degree, and had her onlne class last night while I was getting ready for bed. Topic for the night "drugs and alcohol" So she tells me that, and I'm like "tell everybody I said they're awesome!!" (alcohol is anyway)... So I get out of the shower... and I can hear her instuctor speaking and again she says " alcohol and drugs" and I start jumping around quietly yelling " I love um, drugs and alcohol are great" then i stopped and was like hey, your microphone isnt on right now is it? people are going to think im a hopped up drunk hippie if it is.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
laughing that would not be too good! but sure would be funny if it was on.

brandonsdad02

They call me Ryan
Reaction score
LOL...nice score...Too bad waterloo is about 3 hrs away. We are leaving for Atlanta on Monday and will be going thur St. Louis and Memphis. Hoping to score some nice rocks along the way. Will be driving my Jeep with a cargo basket on the back.

crsublette

coyotes call me Charles
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
A shame the guy is essentially "deleting" all of that.

That is awesome. Would be really neat to all all those ponds and turtles in person.

He said he was selling the house, and the person buying it was using it for rental property, and needed all the ponds gone otherwise the liability insurance would cost too much.
There ya go. makes sense.

ididntdoit99

ididntdoit99
Reaction score
LOL...nice score...Too bad waterloo is about 3 hrs away. We are leaving for Atlanta on Monday and will be going thur St. Louis and Memphis. Hoping to score some nice rocks along the way. Will be driving my Jeep with a cargo basket on the back.

This was in cedar rapids actually, I've been driving all over Iowa the last few days, Monday i went to Cedar Rapids for rocks, then Last night I went to Iowa City to pick up a dishwasher. I'm getting tired of my "after work road trips" and getting home just in time to go to bed :)

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
What a cool sounding place 99 and that one photo alone shows how neat that one pond is! I would love having a place like that w/ nothing or hardly anything to mow. I can see tho why the buyer would want it all gone for his renters. It's such a shame tho. Hope you can get some of those fish and amazing what power us women have w/ just a certain tone in our voice,lol!

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Thats life and are you going back to get more rock and fish . :goldfish: :goldfish: :goldfish: :goldfish: We know you want too

ididntdoit99

ididntdoit99
Reaction score
yes im going back friday for more rock for sure.... fish i dont know, not even sure if he will have any left, For those prices, proabably not.

ididntdoit99

ididntdoit99
Reaction score
I WISH I KNEW RIGHT NOW!!!! Sitting here at work, I keep thinking about those koi... and how great they would look in my pond. Even if she was mad and made me sleep by my pond for a ffew days :)

Ask a Question