Scottish Borders Raised pond.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi @Nia Roo Studio, nice little pond i wont be the only one to say this but are they koi you have in there ? if you are getting problems with blanketweed now when its still very cold then you are going to have lots of problems when it starts to warmup, are you feeding at the moment ? its still too cold to feed, your nitrates are probably very high because of fish load and feeding, sorry to be the barer of bad news but you are going to have problems very soon those koi are going to grow.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
hi @Nia Roo Studio, nice little pond i wont be the only one to say this but are they koi you have in there ? if you are getting problems with blanketweed now when its still very cold then you are going to have lots of problems when it starts to warmup, are you feeding at the moment ? its still too cold to feed, your nitrates are probably very high because of fish load and feeding, sorry to be the barer of bad news but you are going to have problems very soon those koi are going to grow.
That’s why I’m looking for ideas for a 12 x 4 x3 feet in the ground pond, I’m having to get someone to dig it out with a mini digger, and build up behind the furthest away end. I’ve added underwater lights, could this be doing it?

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
That’s why I’m looking for ideas for a 12 x 4 x3 feet in the ground pond, I’m having to get someone to dig it out with a mini digger, and build up behind the furthest away end. I’ve added underwater lights, could this be doing it?
My pond is like 18ft long and 8 ft wide and 3&1/2 feet deep and I could only have very few koi. I just decided to go w/goldfish as I can have more of them and the Shubunkin type kinda look like koi only smaller.

Shubunkin's.jpg

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
This is an automatically generated discussion thread for the pond showcase "Scottish Borders Raised pond.". Please add to the discussion here.
I forgot to mention that I am disabled hence why someone else will be digging it out for me. The fish are six koi 1Bristol Shubunkin and 3 Common Goldfish plus I’m thinking about a few great pond snails.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
Hi YP, No i'm not feeding here as we are still getting heavy frost (Berwick upon Tweed, Northumberland, the north sea is 2 miles east of the house), but they do try there luck by swimming up to me thinking im going to feed them). The only difference from last year is i've just installed 4 under water lights, could they be the problem? Mike.

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
The underwater lights are not the problem. The koi are the problem. They produce a lot of waste and can get to be 2-3' so not suited for a small pond. If you go with the size of pond you are planning, it is still only large enough for 1 koi. If it was me, I would find a way to rehome the koi and enjoy your pond the way it is. Ponds should be a source of enjoyment and relaxation, not stress.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
The underwater lights are not the problem. The koi are the problem. They produce a lot of waste and can get to be 2-3' so not suited for a small pond. If you go with the size of pond you are planning, it is still only large enough for 1 koi. If it was me, I would find a way to rehome the koi and enjoy your pond the way it is. Ponds should be a source of enjoyment and relaxation, not stress.
Thank you for your input, every one is a gem.

Ask a Question