Screen for bottom drain

Reaction score
Country
United States
Can you suggest a screen that I can put over my bottom drain so that I can keep debris out of the drain pipe? I was kinda hoping for a domed screen that I could just put on top of the drain.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Can you give us a little more information? How big is your BD? I don't have a BD, but I thought that that pipe fed to somewhere that would filter out debris, like a sieve or a settlement chamber? Maybe I'm not understanding......

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
how about one of those screens that they use on lawns that has like a plastic grate on it .I know I have one at the other house for the creek overflow to make it go farther out into the lawn rather than flooding near the house

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
A screen or similar material placed over a bottom drain defeats the primary purpose of a bottom drain that being to remove detritus from the bottom of a pond.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
they come in different sizes also and are pretty heavy
101_0776.JPG

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
how about one of those screens that they use on lawns that has like a plastic grate on it .I know I have one at the other house for the creek overflow to make it go farther out into the lawn rather than flooding near the house
An atrium grate? Would that work for a BD?
IMG_9565.jpg
IMG_9566.jpg

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
A screen or similar material placed over a bottom drain defeats the primary purpose of a bottom drain that being to remove detritus from the bottom of a pond.

These are my thoughts as well. But I also understand something with large enough holes to let the debri flow through while keep the fish from being sucked. But I don't have a bottom drain just have thought about putting on in in the future to avoid scooping out the bottom of the pond twice a year.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Can you give us a little more information? How big is your BD? I don't have a BD, but I thought that that pipe fed to somewhere that would filter out debris, like a sieve or a settlement chamber? Maybe I'm not understanding......

I have a 350 gallon sterile pond with a 2 inch bottom drain. I just want something to put over the drain in case wind blows a lot of leaves into my pond. I will then shut off the pump. clean out the leaves, and replace the screen. I was kinda hoping for, like a say 1 foot dome screen that I could push to the side with a pole, clean everything out with a skimmer, then slide the screen back with a pole.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I have a 350 gallon sterile pond with a 2 inch bottom drain. I just want something to put over the drain in case wind blows a lot of leaves into my pond. I will then shut off the pump. clean out the leaves, and replace the screen. I was kinda hoping for, like a say 1 foot dome screen that I could push to the side with a pole, clean everything out with a skimmer, then slide the screen back with a pole.

Reaction score
Country
United States
These are my thoughts as well. But I also understand something with large enough holes to let the debri flow through while keep the fish from being sucked. But I don't have a bottom drain just have thought about putting on in in the future to avoid scooping out the bottom of the pond twice a year.

Reaction score
Country
United States

Ask a Question