Screened in Porch

Reaction score
We screened in an area underneath our porch on the second level and set up our 4x6 pond. But today we saw a snake in the yard and i was FREAKED out, almost passed out the kids were hysterical. Now they are scared of the snakes getting into the pond. The pond is in a screened in area but the ground is dirt. Is there anything i can do to make sure now snakes will not get through the screen? I dont want it ti ruin our little oasis if the kids dont even wwant to go out there. How little space can they fit under? Can they burrow under the dirt under the 2x4 supporting the screened in walls?

Sad....

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
There is stuff sold at home depot to either scare away or keep snakes away. Not sure how it works, I am weird and like snakes lol

They can get through some pretty small holes.

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
There is a snake repellent that is sold at most home improvement stores,tractor supply, or feed and seed stores, It's a powder you put around the perimeter where you don't want them. I think it's like $13 for enough to cover 250' DO NOT PUT NEAR POND!!!! PLEASE! around a fence line or well outside the porch area should work. It's primarily lime, When the snake, Or LIZARD start to crawl over it it causes a burning to the belly and will usually turn around and go the other way. Will this make it 100% snake proof, No. Snakes can just as easily come from above too and that would be harder to control.
Take the time to take your kids to a zoo or reptile farm/show. get them familiar with what a good snake is and a snake that they need to get help. My kids could tell good snakes from bad snakes by the time they were five. I see one I don't know about and just spot it, it scares the mess out of me! but once I know It's a green , garter , king, corn or my favorite milk snake I gladly allow them my yard for their hunting grounds. Most do far more good than you can imagine.

Ask a Question