Sea Horse Pumps

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi Everyone,

I am considering buying this pump - Lifegard Sea Horse Self Priming Pump w/ Free Strainer Pot - 1 HP - 82 GPM - 115v - The specs seem to be right for me. Wondering if anyone has opinions about the quality of this pump. Also, if anyone knows how lounger's or quiet it might run. I am looking for as quiet a pump as I can get. Thanks!!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Never heard of them. Looking at the pump curve, though, I am very interested to see how massive your waterfall is, though!

Reaction score
Country
United States
I am a novice, so I might be looking at the wrong pump. My waterfall will only be about 4 ft above the pond water level. !8 ft stream. Splitting the output of the pump between (with ball valves) the waterfall and a bog. Input to the pump will be the skimmer and the bottom drain.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
If you're selecting based on flow rate, I would encourage you to look at other pumps with a similar flow rate but lower head performance. How far is your pipe run? I'd guess you'll be under 10' of TDH?

The pump you're looking at is rated to run up to 12 amps to service 20-50' of head. That will consume nearly 1,000 kwh of electricity per month. Gonna be a big bill.

Tell us more about how water gets from point A to point B and we can help you pick the most appropriate pump(s) to get the job done without wasting energy.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I have this pump. It has been running continuously for over 5 years. When it finally dies I will replace it with the same one.
My pond has 2 pumps. The other is an Alpine submersible and it feeds the waterfall.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
@BobDE: Nice to hear it that it is holding up. Have you ever checked its power draw in your application? It's rated up to 1300 watts.

Reaction score
Country
United States
If you're selecting based on flow rate, I would encourage you to look at other pumps with a similar flow rate but lower head performance. How far is your pipe run? I'd guess you'll be under 10' of TDH?

The pump you're looking at is rated to run up to 12 amps to service 20-50' of head. That will consume nearly 1,000 kwh of electricity per month. Gonna be a big bill.

Tell us more about how water gets from point A to point B and we can help you pick the most appropriate pump(s) to get the job done without wasting energy.

I have attached a rough schematic. Definitely interested in advice. I will be 2" flexible pic for most of the runs. Wondering if I should run the bottom drain 4" pic all the way to the pump or if I should step is down some distance before the pump. Thanks.

Attachments

• B0CD3D99-2724-41AD-936D-D4FB7DB02C36.jpeg
    B0CD3D99-2724-41AD-936D-D4FB7DB02C36.jpeg
    95.3 KB · Views: 30
Reaction score
Country
United States
Another question... I am joining a 4" line from my bottom drain with the line (2"?) from the skimmer with a "Y" right before the pump. Should I reduce the 4" line it right at the "Y" or step it down gradually along the length of the run? Thanks for any opinions!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
You have reasonable pipe runs and not much head height. I'd recommend stepping your 4" down to whatever size the intake on the pump is as close to the pump as possible. Add a clean out there. If you get a clog, that's where it will be. Some would say running a bottom drain directly to a pump is a no no, but lots of people do it.

The pump you're looking at is way too beefy for your application. Look for one with the same flow rate but lower head curve. If you want to really hit efficiency, you could plumb w/ 3" pvc and get a low head pump.

One other thought: Pumps are much better at pushing water than pulling it. Your suction runs are much longer than your discharge runs. Recommend placing the pump so that length of runs are reversed.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I'm the one who always asks, so I'll ask again - why the bottom drain? Definitely an option but not a necessity... and it may simplify your plumbing situation.

Reaction score
Country
United States
You have reasonable pipe runs and not much head height. I'd recommend stepping your 4" down to whatever size the intake on the pump is as close to the pump as possible. Add a clean out there. If you get a clog, that's where it will be. Some would say running a bottom drain directly to a pump is a no no, but lots of people do it.

The pump you're looking at is way too beefy for your application. Look for one with the same flow rate but lower head curve. If you want to really hit efficiency, you could plumb w/ 3" pvc and get a low head pump.

One other thought: Pumps are much better at pushing water than pulling it. Your suction runs are much longer than your discharge runs. Recommend placing the pump so that length of runs are reversed.

I moved the pump location over near the waterfall to try to cover the noise of the pump. Anyplace else I could put it is near where folks will be sitting.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I'm the one who always asks, so I'll ask again - why the bottom drain? Definitely an option but not a necessity... and it may simplify your plumbing situation.

I am a newbie, but I thought that with a lot of koi, a bottom drain with good circulation in the pond was a great way to keep the system clean.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
That pump only has 1 1/2" inlet and discharge. No matter what you do 4" - 6" your flows will not increase more then what a 1 1/2" pipe can handle. in this pumps case + or - 4000 GPH THESE VIDEOS SHOULD BE STICKIES

Ask a Question