Seal for pipe at top of Waterfall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,
I'm redesigning my small waterfall after losing water. I thought the issue was further down the waterfall, but turns out it must have been a leak at the top where the pipe came out of the slate. I had originally used sealant around the hole thinking that would do the trick.

I'm getting rid of the slate and just using pond liner at the top but need a secure fixing for the tube to come through to create the small pool at the top.

I have done a bit research and found the "Oase Redux" looks like what I need but they are 30 to 50 quid. I'm sure there will be cheaper versions/options out there but I dont know what I am looking for.

Can anybody help?

Thanks

Ad

Advertisements

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
I don't know what an Oase Redux is. I'm thinking it might be some type of weir.
If it is, there are many things you can use as a weir. Any plastic box can be used. Those plastic bins that are used to hold screws, hardware, etc. work good.

You don't neccesarily need a weir. You can just have your pipe/hose spill out into the waterfall. You can cover it with rocks, plants, etc.

You can heat the end of a PVC pipe, then flatten it out to get a better affect.
Or use a short piece of PVC pipe perpendicular to the falls with holes drilled in it for a showing effect.

If you go with a homemade weir...
As far as a watertight connection for your feed pipe to any weir or waterfall box, a bulkhead fitting is the only choice. They are inexpensive and will give you a leak proof connection without using any messy inadequate sealant.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I don't know what an Oase Redux is. I'm thinking it might be some type of weir.
If it is, there are many things you can use as a weir. Any plastic box can be used. Those plastic bins that are used to hold screws, hardware, etc. work good.

You don't neccesarily need a weir. You can just have your pipe/hose spill out into the waterfall. You can cover it with rocks, plants, etc.

You can heat the end of a PVC pipe, then flatten it out to get a better affect.
Or use a short piece of PVC pipe perpendicular to the falls with holes drilled in it for a showing effect.

If you go with a homemade weir...
As far as a watertight connection for your feed pipe to any weir or waterfall box, a bulkhead fitting is the only choice. They are inexpensive and will give you a leak proof connection without using any messy inadequate sealant.
Thanks, I'm not having a box, the pipe is coming through the ground and liner to create a little pool at top of waterfall Direct from my in pond pump. My problem is that I need the hole I make in the liner sealed around the pipe. Can you use bulk heads without a box just to seal a hole in the liner? I have seen bulk heads on my search and they are cheaper. I have 1 inch diameter flexible pipe. Would I need to buy a specific bulk head for that pipe?

Ad

Advertisements

brokensword

Not all those who wander are lost
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Thanks, I'm not having a box, the pipe is coming through the ground and liner to create a little pool at top of waterfall Direct from my in pond pump. My problem is that I need the hole I make in the liner sealed around the pipe. Can you use bulk heads without a box just to seal a hole in the liner? I have seen bulk heads on my search and they are cheaper. I have 1 inch diameter flexible pipe. Would I need to buy a specific bulk head for that pipe?
I would think a bulkhead fitting would work just fine as there's a rubber washer that goes on the water side anyway. And your liner, be it hdrpe or epdm (which is rubber, too). That said, for my waterfall, I routed my flex pvc up the sides of my rock pile (then I covered it) and let it lay on top, connected it to my homemade weir, and then placed more flat slate/rock on top of that to hide it. And because I have liner under it all, even if it leaks, the water goes back to the pond. I'd suggest also that you have a valve on the pipe to your water fall as it's nice to be able to adjust just how much flow you want.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Thanks all, I've bought my 25 mm bulkhead fitting for 8 pound. I might even buy a cheap, small plastic bowl to see whether I like it as a weir. The more I think about it, the more I want to see what it looks like. Pics of my old slate waterfall and work in progress attached

Attachments

Ad

Advertisements

Ask a Question