Sealing a Concrete Koi Pond

Reaction score
Country
United States
I placed an order PondPro2000, but it's on backorder w/no ETA. I recently discovered Sani-Tred. Has anyone used either of these products? The odd dimensions of the pond will not lend to any EDPM liners. It's "L" shaped, sitting between a board walk and patio.
Initially the pond construction consisted of pressure treated 4x4 and 3/4 plywood w/a fiberglass liner, topped w/a gelcoat and finished w/PondGuard. It lasted about 3yr before a major crack appeared due to the wet spring. I will never use PondGuard after that project.
The pond has since been excavated and replaced w/5000 PSI aggregate concrete and Wilson's Latex Jet Set for the masonry coat. See attached:
Construction specifics:
  • 10"x10" footers
  • 6" thick walls
  • 4" deep floors
  • All have been reinforced w/rebar and mesh
  • There are no expansion joints between the walls and the floors since the max width is 2'.
  • The poured concrete has a PVC water barrier between it and the earth (even the footers).
  • All surfaces will be smooth (still working on the left section)
I'm open to suggestions for non-toxic waterproofing alternatives but do like the "liquid rubber" options since they can account for small cracks. I don't anticipate any large cracks given the construction for at least 10yr.
FYI, the koi are in an above ground pool ATM. I need to wrap this up before November.

Attachments

• 20191009_151738.jpg
    20191009_151738.jpg
    192.3 KB · Views: 266
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
Welcome :) I don't have experience with a concrete pond, but have read posts on a koi forum, recommending this product xypex concentrate.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Welcome :) I don't have experience with a concrete pond, but have read posts on a koi forum, recommending this product xypex concentrate.
I saw Xypex in other posts, but given that wood is used in the construction, liquid rubber seemed like the best direction. The good news is that the PondPro2000 actually shipped today and I should have it on the 14th.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
I saw Xypex in other posts, but given that wood is used in the construction, liquid rubber seemed like the best direction. The good news is that the PondPro2000 actually shipped today and I should have it on the 14th.
How did your project turn out? Thanks for the warning about PondGuard.

Ask a Question