Sealing a Dam

Reaction score
Country
United States
To be able to diagnose a big leak, I need to completely seal a small leak in a small dam on the upper pool of my water feature. The dam is a boulder and one end of it lets water leak through, making it impossible to diagnose a big leak in the upper pond. I originally used foam on the dam, but that did not seal it completely. I would love to use something like a roofing tar but none of that is compatible with EDPM liners. I have some Firestone lap sealant for liners, would that work? I also have some silicone acrylic latex sealant that seems like might work. What would you do?
Dam 2.jpg
Dam 1.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Yeah, pond foam is not meant as a sealant. Some people here have had good results with PL-S30 sealant. It comes in a tube that fits in a caulking gun.

Reaction score
I'm not seeing anything that would have been put in with a machine so any of those rocks can be moved by hand. I think you had asked about this leak in a previous post. If this was my pond I wouldn't waste any time trying to fix a leak. I would pull the old liner out and replace it. A few days work and you're done. It's important to make sure that the water isn't spilling over the edge. To check you need to remove the rocks at the edge.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I'm not seeing anything that would have been put in with a machine so any of those rocks can be moved by hand. I think you had asked about this leak in a previous post. If this was my pond I wouldn't waste any time trying to fix a leak. I would pull the old liner out and replace it. A few days work and you're done. It's important to make sure that the water isn't spilling over the edge. To check you need to remove the rocks at the edge.
Thanks for the tip on the liner. It was a different person though on the previous post about the leak. I am just trying to see if my upper pool is holding water so I need to seal the dam. Yes, all of my rock is manageable with a little elbow grease.

Ask a Question