Sealing cement

Reaction score
We are going to start the process of building our own cement pond. After having an in ground liner pond for several years and getting tired of dealing with the liner, we decided to cement it ourselves. The only problem is that I don't know what sealers to use. Does anybody know of any that are safe to use with fish? We have all the rest down and planned, just need to know what kind of sealers are safe for the fish. I have looked at pool paint and sealers, but I don't know if they are safe. Any help would be great. Thanks.

Reaction score
There are a number of them, but be warned, this is not inexpensive to do.

Pond Armor and Polyurea are two of the more popular ones, and very pricey. You can do a google search, but here's a lead on info: http://www.pondarmor.com/index.htm

I've seen people use Drylock and thoroughseal with some success (cheaper), Be warned that you need to let this seal for at least 1 month before adding fish.

Pond Shield is another...there are lots.

Be sure to read reviews on these types of products, as I've heard plenty of tales of this stuff peeling off after a few years and folks having to reseal.

As a push for liner, you can get a great quality 25-year warranty liner of 45 mil strength that you will never have to worry about for years to come. Liners today re not where they were a few years ago. Much improved!

Reaction score
I have a liner now. I don't remember the thickness of it, it was fine the first year. But recently we have been having many problems with it. Now I am not sure of the way to go. I don't want yearly maintenance, but don't want to deal with a liner leaking again. Will have to think about this some more. Thanks for the info.

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
I used Thoroseal, $50 for a 30# bag to seal my waterfall cracks. It worked great. I ran water over it 24 hours after I applied it with no problems to the fish. My neighbor who has been a cement contractor for 35 years recommended it.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
It sounds like you may have a PVC liner. They don't last to long.
I used Polyurea on mine but it needs sprayed by a pro.

Reaction score
That is probably my problem. I don't have a good liner. It was one bought at Home Depot. We have had a lot of flooding this season and one of my walls got pushed down by the surrounding flood water. So I had to put that back the best I could with the pond still filled. I didn't want to drain the pond and completely redo it seeing as how we are planning to do this new pond and then after it is set up transfer the fish. Now it obviously has a leak (or a couple) because I have to top it off every 2-3 days.

Reaction score
If you purchased a proper liner (no less than 45ml), and had it properly installed to prevent the walls from falling in and from water from washing in, you would find liner to be a long lasting and inexpensive solution.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
After the pre form pond, we bought that liner at Lowes also. It gets hard as a rock after awhile. And they can crack. Ours did. When we made the pond bigger, we bought the 45 mil good liner from a pond place. We took one of those things that pound the dirt down hard and went along the sides and the bottom before we put the liner in. Plus we built it to be 6 inches above ground level, mainly to keep grandkids from falling in, but it also keeps it from flooding.

Reaction score
Thanks for all the help and advice. I think you all have convinced us to keep it a liner pond and not cement it. I already checked online for liners (we don't have a local pond supply place) and found one I think sounds good. It is the Firestone 45 mil with a 20 year warranty. Does anyone know the reliability of that brand? We are going a lot bigger this time.

Reaction score
yes, it is excellent. You will do well with buying this brand. Ebay has a few other 45 ml liners, too. So, shop around.

Also, keep in mind that it is easier to line a rectangular pond than rounded, kidney and other free-form shapes.

Reaction score
DrDave said:
I used Thoroseal, $50 for a 30# bag to seal my waterfall cracks. It worked great. I ran water over it 24 hours after I applied it with no problems to the fish. My neighbor who has been a cement contractor for 35 years recommended it.

Dave,

Let me ask details about this if I may. I've been trying the Home Depot sealer - "Sika", and not too happy with it - it turns milky white after water has run over it for a while. So I've been looking into the thoroseal.

I'm unclear as to what you might be using actually. Looking at the thoroseal web site list of waterproofing products:

I don't see the product you mention. There are a couple of waterproofing products that come in 50# bags (T1018, T1019, T4002, T4003, T1180), however these come in only gray or white, not clear. There is a clear product (T1955, T1956), but it only comes in liquid form.

Is yours one of these, or is it something that doesn't show up on the site?

Thanks.

Reaction score
Hmmm - didn't realize that.

So - that being the case - has anyone had experience with a good clear sealant for water runs / waterfalls, that they know won't turn milky? From perusing various threads I don't see much. I do see mention of "pond shield" from Pond Armor, though that's really more of a full epoxy liner material and seems like overkill (and expensive) for this kind of thing.

Ask a Question