Sealing up fountain in pond?

Reaction score
I've inherited a project that has a fountain in the center of a pond. I'm looking for opinions on the best way to seal up the pond liner around the fountain. The fountain sits about 3 inches into the water when it will be filled. The soil is very sandy so it needs to be sealed well. I'm open for suggestions. Thank you.

Attachments

• photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    148.2 KB · Views: 296
  • photo2.jpg
    photo2.jpg
    148.2 KB · Views: 274
  • photo3.jpg
    photo3.jpg
    147.5 KB · Views: 261
  • photo4.jpg
    photo4.jpg
    148.7 KB · Views: 318
  • photo7.jpg
    photo7.jpg
    151.8 KB · Views: 275

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I would over kill, if it was me doing this project. lowest part of post, use pl construction glue, silicone, urethane, whatever you prefer, Thick bead of it. 1-2 inches. Then double side tape, above that. Then single side tape covering the edge of the liner and attaching to base of post.

You may want to finish it off with some strapping, anything that would conform to a square and pull tight, against the tape.

You could also make sure the liner is above the water level, then you would just be sealing for splash, if you can do that without it showing too bad.

Reaction score
thanks for the reply, unfortunately I will not be able to get the liner above the water line, because the base of the fountain sits about 3 inches below. When it comes to this, nothing will be overkill. I don't want it to ever leak.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Are you cutting a hole in the liner? for the fountain? or just sitting the fountain on the liner

Reaction score
the fountain can't really be removed, the liner will have to be cut and wrapped around. It's not what I really wanted to do, but it might have to be done.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Well if you are cutting it, the liner, you should be able to pull the liner up a little higher than the water line. Seal it like I suggested above, even if you can get the liner a little higher than the water line.

Make sure you have double side tape single side tape to tape the cut in the liner. You will have to make a large cut to get it over the top of the fountain, unless you can lift it , which it sounds like you can't.

Make your liner cut on the shortest point possible, to have less sealing. Seal the cut before you start wrapping the fountain, so you can have it flat while taping.

Hope this makes sense

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
See the arrows? make a cut in both directions to get it over the top of the fountain, only as big as you must. Lay it flat after you get it over the fountain, then seal those cuts. Then work on sealing it around the base. It will take some fussing but it should work.

Attachments

• Snap8.jpg
    Snap8.jpg
    51.7 KB · Views: 258

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
If you want it to last put it on top of the liner
I would pour a level concrete pad under the liner for the fountain base
And use extra liner to pad it

Reaction score
that is actually one of the things I was thinking about was pouring more concrete around the base.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I get the impression from him it can not be moved. Best would be to put it on a pad and on top of the liner. But it seems he can't do that.

hewhoisatpeace

Evil Genius
Reaction score
Well, you said the fountain can't really be moved, but I don't think there is any other way to ensure no leaks. If you have to make the big cut, I'd go ahead and securely attach two strips of liner on each side of the fountain (maybe 1' wide side attached to fountain, with 5 or 6' leading away from the fountain). Then, you could do a liner to liner patch in the long cut. I'd patch over your repair, too.

Ask a Question