Searching for pond keepers in Florida to discuss

Karen Crowley

Bubblenut
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
Does anyone in this forum live in Florida? I think I can learn more from pond lovers that live in zone 9b. We have more herons, Great White Egrets, and Cane Toads to worry about. I have a starter pond (200+ gal), but within the year I plan to convert our never used sport pool into a big pond. Anybody?

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I don’t know how current the info is, but we have a “member map.” Access it by selecting MEMBERS, then MEMBER MAP should show as one of the folders.

There are quite a few of us on here from various Southern/South Eastern states, but I think that you’ll find that the birds and reptiles/amphibians that plague the pond community are pretty much universal. The names might be different (different frog species, for example), but they’re everywhere.

You might want to do an internet search for any koi and/or pond clubs or groups in your area. These can be a great resource!

Karen Crowley

Bubblenut
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
I don’t know how current the info is, but we have a “member map.” Access it by selecting MEMBERS, then MEMBER MAP should show as one of the folders.

There are quite a few of us on here from various Southern/South Eastern states, but I think that you’ll find that the birds and reptiles/amphibians that plague the pond community are pretty much universal. The names might be different (different frog species, for example), but they’re everywhere.

You might want to do an internet search for any koi and/or pond clubs or groups in your area. These can be a great resource!
Wow! Thanks for responding so quickly. I will try both your suggestions right now.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
@Karen Crowley You might have to search a little bit and maybe use different keywords, depending on the way any clubs might be listed. Maybe even check with any local garden centers or places that sell pond fish. They might know of something that might not be listed.

Karen Crowley

Bubblenut
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States

Wow! Thanks for responding so quickly. I will try both your suggestions right now.
Ms. Mathis, why do we need to have gravel? Can't I just leave that out? I have marbles, $ store "gem stones", and regular gravel in my pond now, but I am thinking about the larger pond in my near future. I know that the fish need it to lay their eggs, but is there another reason? BTW, I don't plan to breed if I don't have to.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Does anyone in this forum live in Florida? I think I can learn more from pond lovers that live in zone 9b. We have more herons, Great White Egrets, and Cane Toads to worry about. I have a starter pond (200+ gal), but within the year I plan to convert our never used sport pool into a big pond. Anybody?
I live inLoxahatchee, West Palm, with a 50,000 gallon pond. The pond is only about 20,000 gal., Right now- dry winter. I have natural species, wild cichlids, bass, mosquito fish, blue gill, sunfish, crappy, box turtles, crawfish and two pleco (they outgrew my inside tanks).
What can I help you with?

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Ms. Mathis, why do we need to have gravel? Can't I just leave that out? I have marbles, $ store "gem stones", and regular gravel in my pond now, but I am thinking about the larger pond in my near future. I know that the fish need it to lay their eggs, but is there another reason? BTW, I don't plan to breed if I don't have to.
@Karen Crowley
GRAVEL: Why not start a new thread to ask about this? Since your current thread is about finding ponders in FL, people likely won’t be looking here for questions about gravel. Anyway, gravel is a hotbed topic that comes up periodically, and it’s always a good one for discussion — and, IMHO,for that reason, it deserves its own discussion thread — maybe under the “construction and equipment” topic? You’ll get a lot more responses. I’ll be looking for you over there......

Last edited:

Karen Crowley

Bubblenut
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
I live inLoxahatchee, West Palm, with a 50,000 gallon pond. The pond is only about 20,000 gal., Right now- dry winter. I have natural species, wild cichlids, bass, mosquito fish, blue gill, sunfish, crappy, box turtles, crawfish and two pleco (they outgrew my inside tanks).
What can I help you with?
Hello. Thanks for responding. II

Karen Crowley

Bubblenut
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
Hello. Thanks for responding. I'm new to ponds and keeping fish in general. I will probably have more and more questions as I go. I just wanted to be able to glean any information from another pond keeper in my zone or close to it. I'm in zone 9b. I started a 200+ gallon pond about two weeks ago and already am seeing that I dug my small fish pond in an area with too much sun. Algae. Also, I spotted a Cane Toad in the water. That scared me. There's a Great White Egret nosing around daily. Who knows what else is out there at night? So, I am seriously considering using our 5' in ground swimming pool. For several reasons it makes sense to me. It's screened in for one thing. But mostly because we never use it. I'm sure that I will need advice from time to time because I am learning as I go. I am retired and living on a modest budget, so I need to be smart if I am to take on the challenge of pond keeping.

Ask a Question