Second dead goldfish, wondering why

Jkm

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5-6
Country
United States
My pond is new and doing well, but two days ago I lost a goldfish, and this morning I lost another. They were both about five inches long. The first survived my Pond of Death massacre last summer and spent the winter in the barn in a horse water trough, and joined the new set of 4”-5” goldfish when the temperature was right - a couple of months ago. Two days ago I found him floating in the water hyacinths and very chewed up, which I attributed to the six crawfish in the pond, but I couldn’t tell what killed him. I found the second one dead in the skimmer this morning, not chewed up, so I looked him over. He looked well except that he had stringy white goop in his gills, which I know is wrong. I suspect they both died of the same cause. What does the stringy white goop in the gills sound like? (I failed to take a picture, which would have helped a lot, I know).

Pond is about 10,000 gallons. Ultimate II biolfilter, Savio skimmer, waterfall pipe and subsurface water returns. Strong aerator in the drain running 24/7 except when we turn it off to look at the fish. No chemicals or additives added to the pond.
Ammonia zero, nitrites zero, nitrates zero, pH 7.6+ (well water).
17 goldfish (now), six crawfish, six bullfrog tadpoles, and three hi-fin banded sharks.
I don’t want to feed, but I’m not sure the pond is mature enough to feed them all yet, so I feed the goldfish about a teaspoon of goldfish pellets twice a day.

A week ago I decided my pond plants needed more nitrates than the pond is producing yet, so when I changed the water in my two long-term healthy nitrate-heavy aquariums, I poured the old water into the pond, all along the marginal and bog plants.

The only behavioral issue I notice is that when the aerator is off some of them will grab for food at he surface - sometimes it’s bugs I can see and sometimes I can’t see what they are grabbing at. They don’t seem to be gasping for air, or stressed at all, but maybe that’s a clue?

So, anyone have any ideas about what killed them? Or at least the second one? And ideas about what I can do to prevent more losses?

Thanks very much,
Julia

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10b
Country
Australia
your pond looks very nice. The white goop on the gills could either be white spot disease (Ich) on the gills (it sometimes only attacks gills) or a fungal infection of the gills or a reaction to gill flukes attacking the gills. without photos it if hard to tell but all three I have listed are possible. However they fish would have been agitated well before they died and struggling to breath for quite a while. NOTE usually if a fish is sick it will hide and I am wondering if these 2 did that and therefore you didn't see them suffering before they died?
Ray

Jkm

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5-6
Country
United States
That’s one of the odd things - we count them several times a day, and I don’t remember either of those fish hiding or being “off” before I found them dead. I think now we’ll just keep watching the rest and see if it happens again. I don’t see any of the remaining fish looking distressed, but it’s quite impossible to catch any of them for a closer inspection. I’ll look up all three of the possibilities you mentioned, and if it happens again I’ll take pictures. Thanks for your reply

Ask a Question