Second Spawn.

GreatDanesDad

Electro-Mechanical Engineer
Reaction score
Ok so my large female is getting fat like she is full of eggs and with the onset of this Huge full moon we are having, my male is really beating her up, and the two of them are destroying my plants.

This was odd because I got a huge spawn just 2 months ago from her. That time I wasn't ready and all the eggs got ate by the rest of the fish in the pond. This time I am ready. I am not expecting such a big spawn, but hoping for something. I separated my female from the group and put in a mop to collect the eggs. Last time she covered every surface of the whole pond. Hoping it is a little more isolated this time. So my next question is after she lays the eggs do I put her in the other area of the pond and transfer the male into that area?

GreatDanesDad

Electro-Mechanical Engineer
Reaction score
UPDATE

After and hour of being seperated my female laid eggs. I had been reading on the subject and decided to try something. So I picked her up and put here in a large tub and helped her secrete the rest of her eggs. She was a good sport, I returned her to the pond. Next I got the male and put him in the tank and milked him till I couldnt even see my hand in the water. Fun. He wasnt such a good sport. Now he is back in the pond.

So now I have a tub full of eggs and milt. What do I need in this tub of water? Filteration? Airation? What will I need to feed if the fry actually hatch? HELP.

Thanks

Reaction score
The time I did nothing was much more successful than the time i tried running a filter. Id say do nothing for now. The current is just too much for them. I think it can break their backs.

Reaction score
Air stone & water changes worked best for me.
That water will get so stinky & polluted once the infertile eggs mold a bit you wont believe it. (dont put any in your house, your wife will loose it) lol
2 days after they hacht I would remove the fry or the unhatched eggs. Nets didnt work for me the seemed to damage or kill 2 many fry. So i sucked the bad eggs out with a hose, then water changes to clean up the water.
Dont worry to much if you suck out some live ones, there will be lots, just get the eggs out! lol
I syphon out the bad water with a 1/4" airline tube with a big wad of filter material zip tied to the end to avoid sucking up any.
I'm using a sponge filter with a airstone up the middle, no way they can get sucked in.
& keep the temp around 68-71ish for the hatch.

This is just my expeience so far, let me know what works or doesnt work for you.

Ask a Question