Secret to getting flowers from lilipads?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
8a
Hi Folks,

We have 2 ponds outside

9x11x4

20160820_180333_zpsuwimocti.jpg

4x4x2 into a bottom pond 4x4x2.5

2013-02-14_16-53-14_855_zps8a360f5f.jpg

(these pics are a little old)

Both ponds also have shades over them about 6 feet up.

#1 has fish around the lilies and they are about a foot deeper down.

#2 has no fish around the lilipads because they are in the lower pond

The problem is only #1 is producing flowers and the warden is demanding answers!

Now I put in pond #2 around 8 weeks ago those little tablet fertilizers but nothing really came of it. #1 got no firtilizer.

If anyone has any ideas on how to grow some flowers in your lilies I'm listening! :)

Reaction score
Country
United States
For clairity, is pond one is good to go? It looks like there is a flower in the lower left so I assume so. Further clairity, pond two only has fish and no plants in the lower portion? Or are the plants in the lower portion?
The upper portion of pond two (to the right of what looks like a St. Francis statue) seems pretty turbulent. I don’t even see any lily pads. My guess is the water turbulence is the problem If the overhead cover is not blocking too much light, the water depth is only 2 feet and you fertilized the plants. You might first try to move the pots into a corner and see if that helps.
Stephen

Jhn

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
What type of lily is the non flowering one? Requirements like depth, amount of sun, vary for different lilies. Also, even in the right conditions some are prolific bloomers and some put them up occasionally.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Once the temperature is warm enough, waterlilies require three things to bloom - food (LOTS OF FOOD), sunlight (varying degrees, depending on the variety), and a pot big enough to grow in - they need to be repotted and cut down to size every year or two, depending on your growing season. If they are crowded in the pot and can jump ship they will, but they definitely will thrive if you give them a big shallow pot with room to spread out.

So in your case, if all those are equal, it may be the fish that are adding to the nutrient content in the pool that is blooming. Does the water from one pond flow into the other? Or are they two separate systems? You added fertilizer to the non-bloomers - did you put it in the pot or in the pond itself? (Sounds silly I know, but just checking!)

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
They like sun. Mine get full sun and bloom all of the time even without adding a lot of fertilizer.

Ask a Question