securing liners and edging rocks

Reaction score
Are u suppose to tape or glue the liners when first start placing it in the hole u dug up?

My other question is after i place the edging rocks around the pond wouldnt they fall or slide into the water if i step on it? Because they dont look secure, and all the books i have read doesnt say anything about securing them. It just says place/lay them around the pond.Is there a way to hold the flat rocks in place?

Reaction score
how many levels of rocks are you doing, and what kind of rocks are they? if you are stacking them 3-4 high, make sure they are battered. (google "batter" and "retaining wall").

otherwise, just make sure your ledge is flat and pitched backward about 1/4 inch from front to back so they are biased away from the pond instead of into it.

you can also use mortar if you want to get particular about it.

pinon ponder

S'cuse me, while I kiss the sky!
Reaction score
Some of us secure the top of our liner by having a small shelf around the perimeter of the pond - about 6-8 inches tall and deep. The liner goes up and over the shelf bottom and up the back of it, then the remainder of the liner goes out of the pond, usually over a slight berm of dirt slanting away from the pond. You can then trim the excess liner off or fold it under and lay rocks on it. Flat rocks and marginal plants can sit on the shelf to hide the liner, and more rocks can then be placed on the liner going out of the pond. With the edge of the pond slanting away from the water slightly, you won't have to worry about soil running into it after it rains and the rocks shouldn't fall into the pond. Be sure to use rocks large and heavy enough for the job - not small cobblestones.

Not sure about gluing liners. We've never had to do that. Good luck!

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
You should not need to tape or glue the liner while placing it in your hole, The only time people tape the liner is to hold down some of the folds. Your liner should be big enough to cover the hole with out taping pieces together.

The rocks like they say above, are stable if you slant them back slightly, also use big flat rocks. The other thing I do is put a rock on top of the pond edge rock to help make it more stable.

Reaction score
Use large rocks that are about 100lbs or more and a few inches thick where you will approach and walk or stand on a lot. This will take two or more people to move, but they are less likely to shift or wabble when people stand on them. These will easily hold the liner and be sturdy.

All the rocks in the front portion of the pond are about 70-100lbs since I knew people would always sit on them when they reach in to feed the fish. The rest are smaller ones about 1/2 that since no one is really in the back.

As for the tape. Are you talking about connecting the waterfall to the pond with it? If your tryin to seam two pieces that are at the bottom of the pond then I think it has to be glue instead.

HARO

Pondcrastinator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
When I built my current pond I placed 12" square patio slabs all the way around to keep the slate edging from sliding into the water. Now, about 10 years later, several of the edgers are in the pond anyway! I'll be starting a lotus bog soon, but this time will pour a concrete collar around the perimeter before I even begin to dig. This should give me a solid edge which will not shift over time. John

Ask a Question