SECURING TOP EDGE OF POND LINER

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have a modern twin pond with what seems to be a rubber liner with the top edge held in place by a metallic strip which is bolted into the concrete block work. The problem is that there is a waterfall feature and when the pump is running the water level of the upper pond rises and is possibly breaching the top edge of the liner and/or escaping through the bolt holes. I would much prefer to remove the metallic strip and bolts and secure the liner with tape which could also be stuck to the block work. I could then cover the top surface of the pond wall with stone or some other material because the present painted surface becomes stained with droppings from any visitors!

I would very much appreciate any comments on how best to proceed.

Many thanks

Attachments

• B79BBE22-A750-4437-829F-767CE64E1875.jpeg
    B79BBE22-A750-4437-829F-767CE64E1875.jpeg
    232.4 KB · Views: 26
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
We have a modern twin pond with what seems to be a rubber liner with the top edge held in place by a metallic strip which is bolted into the concrete block work. The problem is that there is a waterfall feature and when the pump is running the water level of the upper pond rises and is possibly breaching the top edge of the liner and/or escaping through the bolt holes. I would much prefer to remove the metallic strip and bolts and secure the liner with tape which could also be stuck to the block work. I could then cover the top surface of the pond wall with stone or some other material because the present painted surface becomes stained with droppings from any visitors!

I would very much appreciate any comments on how best to proceed.

Many thanks
you could, maybe, put an additional piece of liner that would go 12" BELOW the water line and then OVER your metal strip, thereby shielding that area from splashing. You'll have to get creative re how you 'camouflage' the top portion. Were it mine, I'd see if I could get it UNDER your cap stone but I'm betting that's going to be a bit of work. IMO, this should have been done before the capstone was set, but probably they weren't going to get a good seal capstone to conc tanks and that's why they ended it. But, they could have tucked 4 inches, secured it, THEN covered with capstone and let the remaining portion of the capstone be held by the adhesive/cement/whatever. That's how I would've done it.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Ugh - installation mistake. I'd want to have it done correctly - but it will be a lot of work.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
There's a restaurant near me that has a similar modern looking type pond inside. The whole interior is tile. There's no liner, at least that is visible. I'm guessing it was done similar to a shower basin. Probably a membrane with tile over it.
Maybe a plumber can help you out.
A tile installer or retailer should know what type of materials you would need.

Tile would look nice and would match the contemporary look.

Ask a Question