j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Yes and that's a nice looking kind. Put it in a pot in the pond w/it's roots in water or tuck it in between rocks around the edge of the pond in water. You can just use rocks in the pot to keep it in place. No need for soil. You can use gravel or 100% clay natural kitty litter also. Non perfumed kind. The cheap old stuff. I just use some rocks in mine tho as the fish tend to try and get in there and take all the soil or kitty litter out and put it everywhere.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Ah yes you are right @JBtheExplorer it's a type of Sweet Flag. They can grow totally submersed in water but then you can't even see them. I enjoy the Sedges more.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I took it out of the pot, washed the roots completely, and put the roots only, into water at the edge of the pond, held in place by a piece of nylon string. Will this work? It is full all day sun.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Just might, I haven't been able to kill any plants I have stuck into my bog or pond.

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I took it out of the pot, washed the roots completely, and put the roots only, into water at the edge of the pond, held in place by a piece of nylon string. Will this work? It is full all day sun.

As addy said, it might.

I don't know if potting it would be worth the effort with it anyway. For me, it grew so fast that it grew out of the pot within a couple months after getting it.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Worth a try @BarbO and that way you can control it better. I have some in my pond that I put in a tall pedestal plastic pot on the plant shelf and it has totally grown way too big. I don't know how I will ever get it out!

It's the monster on the left.

IMG_8283.JPG

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Do the roots stick to rocks or the pond wall or do they just hang into the water? I must be prepared.

I wouldn't say they "stick" so much as they form a massive root ball that will invade every crack between every rock they can find. I had one that I finally got rid of (that thing was scaring me! See @j.w 's picture above). I had to get in the pond and hack away at it bit by bit, being careful not to hit liner of course. I repeated that process three or four times before it finally gave up. Then one day I spotted the tiniest bit of it growing on the other side of the pond - it hadn't given up after all... it had just chosen a new battle ground!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mozzzika

Latest Threads