Seeking other pond folks near north Oklahoma, around I35

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Hello folks, and thank you for looking. I’m seeking pond minded folks that I can maybe get into trading with, learn from, and get to know. I’ve gotten into ponds by accident when the little feeder goldfish I got for my turtle weren’t eaten, so I put them in the pool. Before you start to think bad, it’s an above ground pool, never chemically treated, on well water. At that time, it was just a misquito breeding pit, full of dead leaves, bugs, and going to waste. I added the fish, cleaned it up a bit, and waited to see how they’d do. Much to my surprise, here we are over two years later, with about 6 of the original fish still alive despite having added catfish for a time, an infestation of anchor worms, my being gone for over a month and the guys only remembering to feed them occasionally, with a second generation, maybe even a third. Late this summer, I got an infestation of anchor worms, had to put the goldfish in aquariums to medicate them, and save what I could. I lost 2/3rds of them, and most of that years babies, but some survived. After letting the pool dry up, I shoveled out all the gunk ( hello compost!) and then filled it back about a foot deep, let it warm up, and put them back in. I’ve added more water, till it’s about 3 ft deep, and much to my surprise, when I was fishing out a batch of fall leaves, I found fry! I’ve got 10-11 inside in an aquarium to see if they’ll do well, all the others I saw are gone as far as I can tell.
So for now, I’m looking for other pond folks in my area, who are willing to share knowledge, cause yeah. The “ pond pump” I’d bought; it sucked. Much smaller than it said it’d be. My dogs decided to help, and ate the cord while the pool was empty. But the fish are doing good despite to pump. Naturally ariated by the wind perhaps? I’d like to get into aquaponics next spring, using my pond water to fertilize my garden. So if anyone stumbles upon this, and is interested, drop a line. If you are in my area, or close enough for reasonable travel, and have fish or plants you are interested in trading or selling, or a good pump, let me know. Or even just advice is appreciated! Thank y’all

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Go to your local garden centers .I did and set up a small pond club for us to trade plants and discuss success's and failures in ponding and also trade a few funny stories .I even give my garden center over wintered water hyacinth for plants in trade

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
There is no local garden center. The only pet shop is over an hour away. I’m very rural, this towns Walmart closes at night! And I love it. Except when I want something we can’t get here. So hence why I’m looking for anyone on here to trade/ barter, buy from.

Ask a Question