Seeking some advice

Reaction score
Hello everybody, I'm Chris from England! hope everyone is well, I'm here for some advice (admin feel free to move my post if its in the wrong place)

If any of you could take the time to answer a few questions i have you could potentially be saving me a fortune and earning my eternal gratitude!

Currently live in south east Asia where we are undertaking a project for our house which involves a moat like pond that surrounds the house.

The pond is made of concrete, it has what we call an overflow system of water circulation, the water from the main pond cascades in to a second channel which surrounds the first moat or channel, it is then pumped into the first channel again and so on.

The second channel is a lot smaller almost like a gutter, the design is kind of like an overflowing infinity pool design.

The pond is split into 2 sections, one on each side of the house. Each section has a volume of approximately 60sqm of water.

My first question is this, I am thinking of putting a number of pumps into the gutter that will pump water that overflows back into the main moat, something like this:

http://www.lagunakoi.com/Pondmaster/Pondmaster-Pumps-p-242.html

with a rate of 2400 gph if i buy 4 for each side the water will exchange every 1.5 hours approximately.

I would also expect to have a top up system for evaporation, something like a ball cock from a cistern. or perhaps you have advice for another method some kind of valve that will sense when the water gets low.

So in all my main question is are there any glaring things I've missed or it it even possbile to run all the pumps together, and with that exchange will the water end up green and stagnant...oh btw its likely to be salty water but those pumps are fine with that.

Any adviec would be splendid.

Kind regards, Chris.
:(

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
do you have any photos? It sure helps us "see" what you are dealing with.

We are using a hose timer to top off our pond, being on a well we don't want to trust a float valve.

I am not sure why you would need four pumps,, for each side, a little lost there. It sounds like it the moat like thing surrounds your house, one on each side of your house. Or is it just on two sides of your house.

If you buy 4 for each side that is 8 pumps, the running cost is climbing.

If you are moving the water around it should not end up green and stagnant.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
have you planned a water replacement rate for changing out water and adding new? the point of that process is to flush dissolved organic compounds and other contaminants out of your closed, recycled system. the best situation would be a drip in and drip out concept to constantly replace the water at a preplanned rate. what is your water source?

Ask a Question