Seems to be a favorite

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
United States
Just wanted to let you all know that every night I put a big bunch of organic Italian parsley in my pond (I tie the stems together with twine) and in the morning every leaf is gone and only the stems remain...Seems to be my shubies favorite snack...I originally put it in for my turtle after reading that they do indeed like it but he goes to sleep at dusk and the leaves are not touched until the middle of the night...this is when the munching begins and the stems are completely bare at dawn...

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Seems like a lot for your fish to eat all in one night. Wonder if something else is coming to dine? You need a night camera as I bet you would get an eye-full!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
United States
Seems like a lot for your fish to eat all in one night. Wonder if something else is coming to dine? You need a night camera as I bet you would get an eye-full!
You have a point j.w....but I have the bunch tethered and I throw it out in the middle of the pond so anything that eats it would have to eat it in the middle of the pond and submerged...My watersnake has not shown up since the hurricane so it's not him....Also, every leaf is daintily eaten without any damage to any of the tiny stems...even Percy would make a mess if it was him...there would be stems everywhere (he is such a messy eater:) When I throw fish sticks out to my goldfish he is the first to get to the food and he spits tiny bits out everywhere (much to my baby shubies delight:) I will look into a camera but am not sure if they work in a dark pond at night:(

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
You have a point j.w....but I have the bunch tethered and I throw it out in the middle of the pond so anything that eats it would have to eat it in the middle of the pond and submerged...My watersnake has not shown up since the hurricane so it's not him....Also, every leaf is daintily eaten without any damage to any of the tiny stems...even Percy would make a mess if it was him...there would be stems everywhere (he is such a messy eater:) When I throw fish sticks out to my goldfish he is the first to get to the food and he spits tiny bits out everywhere (much to my baby shubies delight:) I will look into a camera but am not sure if they work in a dark pond at night:(
The cams almost all have good night vision. My lorex light up the back field from the house to a level of a full moon. About 100 feet away. The trail cam does about 50ish feet.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
@rubyduby I saw your other post about getting a trail cam. I think I want one too and it is a good, cheap way to start to just see what passes by each night or day.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
I just got one. My husband watched a ton of YouTube videos reviewing the different ones. He said it was very helpful in deciding which one to get!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
@rubyduby I saw your other post about getting a trail cam. I think I want one too and it is a good, cheap way to start to just see what passes by each night or day.
if there's power close by or not the security cameras can all do day or night vision and they can also record for a monthly service

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
United States
I just got one. My husband watched a ton of YouTube videos reviewing the different ones. He said it was very helpful in deciding which one to get!
Lucky you...I am technically challenged and the set up instructions for these cameras are hard to understand (for me)...

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
@j.w - this is the box:

Attachments

• cam 1.jpg
    cam 1.jpg
    162.1 KB · Views: 12
  • cam 2.jpeg
    cam 2.jpeg
    121.5 KB · Views: 12
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
United States
Did you get one?
No, not yet...Might wait until my Son comes to visit so he can set it up:) I did find the culprit however (that eats all the parsley every night) It IS the fish! They wait until dark and then munch away...I am glad they are getting the nutrients since they don't seem to eat my plants...Percy holds out for the live mealworms I feed him early each morning...He doesn't seem to like the greens that I put in for him (I have tried collards, kale, romaine, ect...) He does munch on my water Lily though:(

Ask a Question