Self filling, recycling water trough

Reaction score
i'm not sure where this goes, so i'll put it here and put the pics up later. It's hot and very humid here in Texas, it was 108 in the shade on my porch last month. The AC unit leaves a huge puddle in the back yard from the humidity that it removes from the air inside. While filling the water trough for the horses for the second time, I slapped myself on the forehead, duhhhh!!!

I'm going to run pvc pipe and capture all of that clean, cool water into the horses water trough. Recycling at it's finest.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Howdy Bullfrog, thought you melted away down there in Texas. Haven't seen you in awhile. Good idea at least as far as I know about getting that dripping water to the horses. I mean it's just water right?
If you ever get your pond going you can cool that down w/ some of that water also in your hot summers.

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
i'm not sure where this goes, so i'll put it here and put the pics up later. It's hot and very humid here in Texas, it was 108 in the shade on my porch last month. The AC unit leaves a huge puddle in the back yard from the humidity that it removes from the air inside. While filling the water trough for the horses for the second time, I slapped myself on the forehead, duhhhh!!!

I'm going to run pvc pipe and capture all of that clean, cool water into the horses water trough. Recycling at it's finest.

If it runs through copper, I wonder if there is copper sulphate in the runoff from the AC?

Reaction score
use of coper pipe is harmless dr dave, for humans and horses, we use it domestically here in uk, shure you will have done over there also, and even if there is small traces of copper sulphate in the water is should be harmless to the horses, ive read about horse keepers using copper or copper sulphate in their water troughs to stop the growth of algae.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
We have copper in our house pipes too mogsie.

Reaction score
Copper was widely used before the arrival of cheap pvc pipe. this was years after they found out that lead pipes were deadly. It's so hot and humid here that this thing does more than a drip, it's almost a steady small stream. I can't believe I didn't think of this before. We are under severe drought conditions. If you fill the water trough and walk off and it overflows for 5 minutes or more, we have no water at all until the ground water seeps back. Our well is pretty deep, a neighbor down the road was coming with a 5 gallon bucket to fill up just so her kids had water to drink.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
That is one good idea! In fact going to check to see if I can direct ours to some dry plants.

Just asked honey, ours goes into a drain in the middle of the basement, oh well.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5B
Country
Canada
Use a water float shutoff or a timer to help eliminate the overflow on the water trough.
I have forgot that I was filling a horse water for 2 days and flooded the field.

Ask a Question