self priming pump installation

Reaction score
so apparently minimize distance between the source and the pump is ideal, but closer to the source for me would mean the power cord isn't long enough. what is the better tradeoff, keep it within the power cord length of the electrical outlet and just deal with a longer distance between the source (my skimmer) and the pump, or move it as close as possible to the skimmer and use and extension cord?

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
lol been running mine on an large gauge extension cord, for a year, waiting for my electrician honey to finish running the wires. Just protect the connection from being under water, or real wet, and have it on a gfi.

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
You should be fine running closer to the outlet. Your going to have some water drop from the barrels back to the pump. You can also add a tee, and put a hose connection in line for priming the pump when you first start the system. Your only going to need it when you have to break the connection to bring the pump in for winter or to change something out.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
A ball valve to shut it off and a hose bib. Works great for priming. You obviously want to be able to shut off the bib when you are not using it.

fishin4cars

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
exactly what Addy said, if you need to prime it with a hose it will be quick and simple if you need some extra water for something tou'll have a feed line in place.

fishin4cars

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
I would run one. I didn't and had to go back and install one after the build. When you need to turn the water off all the water back flows to the skimmer making restarts a PITA, I had to run one so I could back flush the bio material in the filter falls.

taherrmann4

Tmann
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Why do you need to prime a self priming pump, at the beginning of the season you dump some water in there and your fine?

fishin4cars

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
If his pump is to far from the skimmer it could take some time to actually draw water in. With the pump he has your right he should be able to add water right at the leaf basket and be fine. But I guess it's me, if I even think I may need it I'll put it in place on the install. I would far rather put a $1 tee and a $5 valve in on install and not need it than fight the muddy nasty headache of needing to install after the fact.

fishin4cars

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Your instruction manual will have the best place to install and recommend the check valve placement and such. I guess it's a question of do you want it for just in case down the road. May never need it. With the sytem design you have the only time I would really see there being a use is during start-up in the spring or after a pump replacement. And even then you do have the leaf basket option to be able to use.

fishin4cars

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
LOL, like I said it's a easy install at this point and if put where it can be used you can use it for a few other things as well like watering plants during water changes, blowing debris that may settle in areas that need periodic blowing off, and can be used to install a UV light, spitter, or similar device if needed.

taherrmann4

Tmann
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Won't a check valve reduce the draw of your pump? Why not put a ball valve instead that way you can shut it off if you need to or not.

Ask a Question