Self priming pumps

Reaction score
Country
United States
New here & refurbishing pond.

Looking at either Elite Variable Series 3 speed pump with optional priming pot, or Elite Primer Pro 2. Anyone have experience with either?

Also if power goes out and comes back on do they reliably restart pumping by themselves, or are they in danger of burning out if no one is around?

Also what is a good reliable long lasting UV system to use with either? Elite recommends ZAPP 55w, but they cost well over $1000!
Had bad luck with previous 2 UV systems. Bulb broke in one, other very narrow and obstructed flow.

Also I'll need several plumbing fixtures. What are good online helpful sources for these?
1. short intake hose with sieve to filter out leaves, acorns, twigs.
2. Handled valve to reduce flow to my waterfall if necessary (it's a 10' narrow cascade down a natural rock face).
3. 2" to 1.5" reduction gasket (exiting the Primer Pro 2). (Waterfall is fed by 50' 1.5" hose.)
4. What will it take to connect pump to waterfall hose so it can easily be unscrewed to take pump indoors in winter?

Thanks,
Edgar

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Welcome @Edgar ! I know nothing of the pumps you speak of, so I will leave that to others more knowledgable than me! Just wanted to say hello!

I will say, if you mean ball valve for #2, get the one with the removable handle. We had the cheaper ones (white with a blue handle) that were terrible to turn and the handles were so brittle after just one season that they all snapped off. We replaced them with the heavy duty ones and have not had a single problem in 7 years - easy to turn and I can take the handles off and store them inside if I want. I posted a picture on another thread some time ago. I can try and find it if you want.

Also - not a fan of UV. It seems you have some experience with them though, so maybe you have a different opinion of them.

And for #4 - someone here recommended Fernco connections - if we ever have to replace our pump connection, I'll go that route. Right now we have a screw on PVC connection. It's OK, but does give us issues getting it threaded straight to get started.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
I use Fernco rubber couplings on my pressure filters for easy disassembly, but I will say that unions would be a better option.
That being said, I'm thinking of changing them, but I'm also thinking of getting rid of my pressure filters and building a bog filter. They work much better and are way less maintanance. Plus I probably won't need my UV light either.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
1564943494890.gif
@Edgar nice to have you here.

Reaction score
Country
United States
You didn't say how big your pond is. But I use a 36 watt uv jebao brand. Some people don't like the brand but it has been fine on my 2500 gal pond for 3 years. I just replace the bulb every other year. I think it was around $75.

Ask a Question