Selling question

Discussion in 'Feedback Section' started by DutchMuch, May 20, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DutchMuch

DutchMuch Lord Of The Aquascapes!

So I posted a thread that I was selling plants, and it was removed ( just saying I have no problem with this) because it was said to be "Commercial" doesn't commercial mean like factory sold on a large scale? I grow my plants in my backyard lol!
    Thanks anyone for the answer to this
    Nate
    And to clarify this isn't a complain... Or a sarcastic comment, just a regular question :eek:

DutchMuch, May 20, 2017
    1. Advertisements

2. DutchMuch

Meyer Jordan Tadpole

There is a major difference in a hobbyist offering extra plants for sale and one who dedicates special time and equipment growing plants for the expressed purpose of resale.
    Your prior posts gave you away as one of the latter.

Meyer Jordan, May 20, 2017
    Becky, Mmathis and MoonShadows like this.
    1. Advertisements

3. DutchMuch

Ah ok, well on other forums (aquarium specific forums) EVERYONE has a "grow tank" for selling plants (everyone as an overstatement of course lol!) and they don't allow (some) commercial sales? I do have trimmings to sell (and those are trimmings of my emersed setup)? but if I post the trimmings, its the same thing... I have an emersed setup not only for selling them and expanding those plants in a Cheap price manner (because they are usually way more expensive from certain people) but also for my self satisfaction of seeing the flower of those individual plants.
    Still kind of confused though (and again, not complaining this forum isn't My house) how a for sale thread isn't, made to sell stuff.. That's kind of a understatement.. idk how I would word that;
    Confused on how a forum wouldn't allow the sale of a persons individual plants assuming they aren't trimmings, I don't see in the rules (again, not being a complaining person) where it says "trimmings aren't allowed to be sold" the plants I offered where all trimmings, and were all live arrival guarantee, I am not a commercial plant seller, this is just a backyard hobby kind of thing.
    Thanks for your reply
    Nate

DutchMuch, May 20, 2017
  4. DutchMuch

in the classified sections rules, it says "if you came here to sell stuff, wrong place.." I didn't come for just that, I have helped (well hopefully I have lol!) multiple people here already, posted my own threads and am in hopes of becoming someone who is involved in this forum community.. Im still confused :bored:

DutchMuch, May 20, 2017
  5. DutchMuch

Meyer Jordan Tadpole

Perhaps the Administrator or one of the Forum Moderators will clarify this policy for you, but to me, if you save your 'trimmings' it is reasonable for one to surmise that you are doing this with future resale in mind. When one begins making money from a hobby, it becomes no longer as hobby.

6. DutchMuch

i make money from the hobby, because it helps profit the hobby...
    Thanks again @Meyer Jordan for your detailed responses
    Best wishes
    Nate

DutchMuch, May 20, 2017
  7. DutchMuch

Meyer Jordan Tadpole

That this was any part of your reason for joining this Forum alters your status as a hobbyist.

8. DutchMuch

Becky Administrator

The 'Classifieds' section on this forum is here so that members can sell any surplus items from their pond, any unwanted equipment, unwanted fish, and so on.

If you are growing plants with the intention of selling them, that is a commercial operation. Just because you do it from home does not exclude you from that classification.

I hope that clarifies matters, but if you have any further queries please let me know.

Becky, May 21, 2017
    HARO and Meyer Jordan like this.
  9. DutchMuch

Becky Administrator

Your post from another topic:

This is clearly commercial, therefore I should be grateful if you would refrain from posting sale ads in the Classifieds forum section. As a former tax adviser I also feel obliged to recommend that you check whether your operation falls within the scope of declaration in the US.

Becky, May 21, 2017
  10. DutchMuch

MitchM

I did not see the ad that was deleted, but it's been my experience on other forums that hobbyists that propagate and sell items (at well below retail) are often very active on the general forum itself.
    When not allowed to sell their items, they often move on to other forums.

I'm not defending DutchMuch in particular, just relaying what I've seen happen on other forums.

MitchM, May 21, 2017
  11. DutchMuch

addy1 water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins Moderator

Thanks Becky I was not sure of the exact rules, so waited for you to respond! ;):)

addy1, May 21, 2017
  12. DutchMuch

MitchM

Personally, I would like to see more activity in the buy/sell section, especially if it's a net benefit to forum members.
    As far as the tax implications go, that is up to the individual seller to deal with.

MitchM, May 21, 2017
    Gemma, bighollywood, EricV and 4 others like this.
  13. DutchMuch

Becky Administrator

I totally see what you're saying @MitchM, but I know from experience that this can be a difficult issue. It can be difficult to know where to draw the line - where does a hobby business become more serious? The title of the ad that I removed was "Aquarium / pond plants!!! AMAZING DEALS & OFFERS!!!" which looks a little spammy, and that kind of thing can make other businesses think it's ok for them to post their adverts too. Unfortunately it's easier to just exclude any commercial ads.

Becky, May 21, 2017
  14. DutchMuch

Tula

If the title was changed to something like " Extra Cuttings Available ", would it then be acceptable?

Tula, May 21, 2017
    Gemma and DutchMuch like this.
  15. DutchMuch

Becky Administrator

My attention was alerted to it because it came across as commercial, so if it has been posted differently then it would have probably slipped under the radar to be honest. However, that does not mean that a change in title would be sufficient now given the history.

Becky, May 21, 2017
  16. DutchMuch

MitchM

Ok. Not everyone is great at marketing.:)
    I would like to see the forum as an attractive and helpful place that encourages people to sign up and participate.
    It's a challenge, but I think I think it's a challenge worth taking on.
    Perhaps there could be a buffer of time that the advertisement post could be reviewed before being posted to the forum.

Bottom line, I think it would be a benefit to forum members.
    Just an idea.

MitchM, May 21, 2017
    Gemma, Tula, cas and 2 others like this.
  17. DutchMuch

MoonShadows The Jam Man

I tend to agree with Mitch. Perhaps if we gave it more thought, we could come up with a way to make the buy/sell section more active and find methods to assure the spammy or commercial posts don't find their way into the section.

MoonShadows, May 21, 2017
    Gemma likes this.
  18. DutchMuch

I said before the emersed tubs I have and extra plants are trimmings... They are also considered cuttings... I have those tubs to study the flower of each individual plant, the "spammy" title I gave is just to get people to click on it, basic advertising. I was trying to sell those plants (again super cheap) to get them spread across the hobby, and because I don't want to throw 2lbs of each species in the garbage like I have been doing. I profit the hobby from the hobby, I don't personally think that is commercial and I have asked other people and they say (and no offence) that the word commercial here is way over thought. Saying someone has the thought in the back of their mind to sell a plant they have grown themselves In the hobby, then saying once you immediately think that its not a hobby, is just plane out rediculas to me (again I don't mean this stuff in a mean way or disrespectful way), no one would be on the for sale thread if they labeled any item or plant then because I can just consider it commercial, you guys you even stated, that your definition of commercial is an opinionnated thing
    Im not giving names, someone recently offered some extra lotuses for sale 12$ each I think, how is that not considered commercial? whats the difference of that and mine other than the plant species? I asked some friends and same thing, parents to and they think it is a way overused word here.. Im only 16 and im trying to just make some extra cash while enjoying what I do best, and that's growing aquatic plants. I don't in any way consider myself a commercial plant dealer, to me that's just, not me.
    Thanks for everyone's reply's
    Nate

Last edited: May 21, 2017
    DutchMuch, May 21, 2017
  19. DutchMuch

idk what any of that means, just because I make 100$ a week (or so) doesn't mean im commercial still by the book. (again your house) I have 3 tanks that are large and have a lot of plants in them that cost a lot on the market, I cut that price in half then when I do a trimming sell those trimmings..
    Again this commercial word is just flying over my head. I have honestly never encountered this on any forum, even gardening forums.
    Could I have a legit example of what a none commercial post version of mine would have looked like?
    I am really interested in being involved in this forum I have a lot to contribute and I love the hobby(s) im in, even though I sell my cuttings or trimmings and I just started doing so I do not sell a lot, there is no profit in what I sell I have way more invested In my hobby's than I do in profit from my selling's. Basically I feed the hobby with what I can make from it. I enjoy talking and sharing information, and learning about the hobby & passing it on to others. It would be great if this forum becomes more active in certain sections and I could be apart of that.
    Please let me know if you would reconsider this.
    Nate

Last edited: May 21, 2017
    DutchMuch, May 21, 2017
  20. DutchMuch

Becky Administrator

I can't really add much here without repeating what I have already said.

Hobbyists do what they do purely for the love of the hobby. If they trim back a plant then they may have some cuttings to sell, if they upgrade their pump they may want to sell their old equipment, if they find themselves with an overstocked pond they may want to sell some fish, and so on. They sell their items because they don't need them but someone else might. It was never their intention to sell things, the fact that they have things to sell is merely incidental to their hobby. I am more than happy for these type of sales to take place here.

If you have taken steps to make money from your hobby, then this is called business. Business is a commercial activity, hence my use of the word. I hope this clarifies the position.

If other members are interested in seeing more items for sale then maybe there are things we could do to allow this - for example, small businesses could pay to list their sales. Would this be what you are looking for @MitchM & @MoonShadows?

Becky, May 21, 2017
    Gemma, Jimmy Gibson and Meyer Jordan like this.
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question