Not open for further replies.

DutchMuch

Lord Of The Aquascapes!
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
So I posted a thread that I was selling plants, and it was removed ( just saying I have no problem with this) because it was said to be "Commercial" doesn't commercial mean like factory sold on a large scale? I grow my plants in my backyard lol!
Thanks anyone for the answer to this
Nate
And to clarify this isn't a complain... Or a sarcastic comment, just a regular question :eek:

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
There is a major difference in a hobbyist offering extra plants for sale and one who dedicates special time and equipment growing plants for the expressed purpose of resale.
Your prior posts gave you away as one of the latter.

DutchMuch

Lord Of The Aquascapes!
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Ah ok, well on other forums (aquarium specific forums) EVERYONE has a "grow tank" for selling plants (everyone as an overstatement of course lol!) and they don't allow (some) commercial sales? I do have trimmings to sell (and those are trimmings of my emersed setup)? but if I post the trimmings, its the same thing... I have an emersed setup not only for selling them and expanding those plants in a Cheap price manner (because they are usually way more expensive from certain people) but also for my self satisfaction of seeing the flower of those individual plants.
Still kind of confused though (and again, not complaining this forum isn't My house) how a for sale thread isn't, made to sell stuff.. That's kind of a understatement.. idk how I would word that;
Confused on how a forum wouldn't allow the sale of a persons individual plants assuming they aren't trimmings, I don't see in the rules (again, not being a complaining person) where it says "trimmings aren't allowed to be sold" the plants I offered where all trimmings, and were all live arrival guarantee, I am not a commercial plant seller, this is just a backyard hobby kind of thing.
Thanks for your reply
Nate

DutchMuch

Lord Of The Aquascapes!
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
in the classified sections rules, it says "if you came here to sell stuff, wrong place.." I didn't come for just that, I have helped (well hopefully I have lol!) multiple people here already, posted my own threads and am in hopes of becoming someone who is involved in this forum community.. Im still confused :bored:

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Perhaps the Administrator or one of the Forum Moderators will clarify this policy for you, but to me, if you save your 'trimmings' it is reasonable for one to surmise that you are doing this with future resale in mind. When one begins making money from a hobby, it becomes no longer as hobby.

DutchMuch

Lord Of The Aquascapes!
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
i make money from the hobby, because it helps profit the hobby...
Thanks again @Meyer Jordan for your detailed responses
Best wishes
Nate

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
The 'Classifieds' section on this forum is here so that members can sell any surplus items from their pond, any unwanted equipment, unwanted fish, and so on.

If you are growing plants with the intention of selling them, that is a commercial operation. Just because you do it from home does not exclude you from that classification.

I hope that clarifies matters, but if you have any further queries please let me know.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Your post from another topic:

I make enough money off the plants in there (100$ a week almost, rounded up... Then half that profit goes to this tank itself. )

This is clearly commercial, therefore I should be grateful if you would refrain from posting sale ads in the Classifieds forum section. As a former tax adviser I also feel obliged to recommend that you check whether your operation falls within the scope of declaration in the US.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
I did not see the ad that was deleted, but it's been my experience on other forums that hobbyists that propagate and sell items (at well below retail) are often very active on the general forum itself.
When not allowed to sell their items, they often move on to other forums.

I'm not defending DutchMuch in particular, just relaying what I've seen happen on other forums.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Thanks Becky I was not sure of the exact rules, so waited for you to respond! ;):)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
I totally see what you're saying @MitchM, but I know from experience that this can be a difficult issue. It can be difficult to know where to draw the line - where does a hobby business become more serious? The title of the ad that I removed was "Aquarium / pond plants!!! AMAZING DEALS & OFFERS!!!" which looks a little spammy, and that kind of thing can make other businesses think it's ok for them to post their adverts too. Unfortunately it's easier to just exclude any commercial ads.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
I totally see what you're saying @MitchM, but I know from experience that this can be a difficult issue. It can be difficult to know where to draw the line - where does a hobby business become more serious? The title of the ad that I removed was "Aquarium / pond plants!!! AMAZING DEALS & OFFERS!!!" which looks a little spammy, and that kind of thing can make other businesses think it's ok for them to post their adverts too. Unfortunately it's easier to just exclude any commercial ads.

If the title was changed to something like " Extra Cuttings Available ", would it then be acceptable?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
If the title was changed to something like " Extra Cuttings Available ", would it then be acceptable?

My attention was alerted to it because it came across as commercial, so if it has been posted differently then it would have probably slipped under the radar to be honest. However, that does not mean that a change in title would be sufficient now given the history.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Question