Selling question

Discussion in 'Feedback Section' started by DutchMuch, May 20, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DutchMuch

Lisak1

Well, that's pretty much what businesses do... put money back into the business to make more money. Essentially what you're selling is costing you nothing, as it would otherwise be disposed of. So how would you not make money? Profit that you use to have fun (aka "expand the hobby") is what we call a paycheck.

Lisak1, May 22, 2017
    Becky and Meyer Jordan like this.
    1. Advertisements

2. DutchMuch

DutchMuch Lord Of The Aquascapes!

but im not making money? im putting the money you consider me "making" back into my setups so I can provide them to you all

DutchMuch, May 22, 2017
    1. Advertisements

3. DutchMuch

Lisak1

Nope. That's your hobby you're supporting. if you were "providing" them to all of us, you wouldn't be charging for them. I don't have a problem with it, but what you're doing is commercial. It's like the difference between someone having a garage sale and someone running a resale shop - they might be selling the same type of merchandise, but one is doing it to get rid of some stuff; the other is running a business.

Lisak1, May 22, 2017
  4. DutchMuch

I cant change how someone views things, ill say it again, this is not a commercial "business" and isn't a business at all. I gave you guys the "cycle" on how I do this and for what reason, to expand the uncommon plants across the hobby(s) and make them more popular and for other people to enjoy.
    Your opinion or take on it I guess, its just a dog chasing his tail.

DutchMuch, May 22, 2017
  5. DutchMuch

Lisak1

How would you define a business?

Lisak1, May 22, 2017
  6. DutchMuch

This dispute has covered all the answers, except this one so I will answer this :p *even though I'd answer any question anyway*
    I personally (imo) consider a business to be a licensed seller of a specific (or multiple) products, and have that position as a career. Aka a owner of a flower shop or something. Google says the definition of business is: "the practice of making one's living by engaging in commerce." I am not making a living from this I think that's obvious by my age. And as I said im making no profit from this. Another way I could describe it, is someone who makes an amount of income from a certain production (so to say) and can (as google said) make a living from that amount of money he or she earns.

DutchMuch, May 22, 2017
  7. DutchMuch

Lisak1

"Making a living" at 16 is different than it is at, say, 26. But even at 16 if you had enough customers, you could definitely make "a living" selling plants online... just google "buy pond plants" and see how many people do it. Saying "hey, I divided my lilies and I have a few extras to sell" is not the same as "I do this on a regular basis and will routinely have plants available to sell". One is on a one time basis; the other is on an ongoing basis.

And you ARE making a profit... you are simply RE-INVESTING your profit into your enterprise. As the scale of your business grows, you will reach a point where you have more profit than you need to re-invest. Then you would use your profit to pay your bills or buy a house or a car or... well, for your "living".

Lisak1, May 22, 2017
  8. DutchMuch

Simple answer to your entire paragraph.
    I don't have a lot of customers, not many people are in this hobby, maybe a few thousand.

DutchMuch, May 22, 2017
  9. DutchMuch

Didn't you say this? and I answered and responded. multiple times... :spam:
    But for real, its your opinion, I guess I and some others just don't think of it that way.
    Plants Grow :D and mine happen to need weekly trimming (for reasons I have said already)..
    According to you that isn't considered a business then.

DutchMuch, May 22, 2017
  10. DutchMuch

DeepWater The Great Abyss

Dutch, I think you may be onto something. It's time to get incorporated and expand your hobby into an operation to make some coin. "Certified organic" I highly doubt at this point, as I believe certification is 1 to 2 grand to do, and would most certainly mean you are *already* a business. Once you get this business going, go for it, certify it organic, and you may have a great business plan ahead of you! Many of us here have already hinted at liking the idea of buying local, reef-protecting, pond friendly, aquaculture products. Not many 16-year-olds have something in their sights this early. Good luck!

DeepWater, May 22, 2017
    DutchMuch likes this.
  11. DutchMuch

DutchMuch, May 22, 2017
  12. DutchMuch

Meyer Jordan Tadpole

Continued discussion on this topic is pointless. @Becky as Forum administrator removed the post in question and has explained the Forum's reason(s) for doing so. Since administration formulates the rules, they are also the ones that give final interpretation. Whether or not one agrees with this is moot.
    I administer several Forums on LinkedIn and some of the rules in these forums differ from the rules in this Forum, but I am on this Forum and will abide by the rules. If I have a question concerning these rules, I will ask and have done so in the past, but once the rule(s) is explained to me, whether I agree or not, I have two (2) options......Stay as a member and respect and follow these rules or....pick up my marbles and go home.
    I chose to stay.
    So stop grousing and be a contributing Forum member or ......your marble bag is over there.

Meyer Jordan, May 22, 2017
    MitchM, Becky and MoonShadows like this.
  13. DutchMuch

Becky Administrator

You don't get something for nothing; if you want to make money on a site you don't run to fund your hobby then you should expect to pay for the privilege.

@MitchM thank you for your suggestions. The reason I am hesitant to open the Classifieds forum section up to businesses (whether small or large) is that it opens the floodgates. I've had this on other forums and it was time consuming and difficult to manage. However, if members would like to see more items for sale, then I could think about having a section for small businesses where they pay a monthly fee to list their sales - we could call it something like 'Support local traders'.

However this would have to be something I look at when I'm not laid up with my back - it's looking like I'll need a spinal fusion at some point this year so I don't have the time to commit to such an undertaking at present.

I tend to agree, so for now the rules stay as they are.

Becky, May 22, 2017
    Meyer Jordan, MitchM and MoonShadows like this.
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question