Sensor that turns off pump when water level is low

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
I have an old pump with a sensor that hangs on it that shuts pump off when water level falls to low. I want to add it to my new pump in my skimmerbox. Do you think it can be cut off and rewired to my new pump and still work? I know this probably is an electrician question ( my husband is one) but don't know since it is in water.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Not being an electrician, but I moved a sensor from one pump to another and it worked. It is just a switch, shuts off the electrical flow when it is triggered.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
It was wired into the power cord, did it years ago. The new ones come with a simple plug in.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
When you say plug in do you mean the pump cord and the sensor are plugged in together? Im not sure about this because I only own this one little pump with sensor wired into it and I didn't know you could buy a sensor only.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Im glad I asked before I have my husband cut it off. I will save this little pump and look for a sensor that plugs in. Ive had an upset tummy today and I have had to much time sitting around thinking of things. Saves my from starting another project! lol Was on craigslist while ago and found someone nearby that has one of those 250 gal containers for$50. Probably my next project!

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
We ended up with 4 more ponds because of craigs list, from 1000 gallons down to who knows size, probably 200-250 or so. All the ponds are in a loop one pump, bog as the filter.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
I want a bog for mine but I haven't got the room. I was only going to make pond bigger and then I found someone giving away rock on craigslist that I used to make my patio beside the pond. Someone was taking down a pool and had free sand, used it for base of patio. Then I just had to build the pergola to go over it. Nothing free with that part. The worst part about the whole thing is that my waterline to the house runs under the new patio. If it ever has to be dug up I will have to dismantle it. But the only thing permanent is the posts for the pergola which are not in waterpipe area. Sooo....I guess I could ask the watercompany to move my line! Ha Ha

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
We are lucky we have the room, one reason we bought this house was the land. Small rancher out in rural maryland. Was not even thinking of putting in a pond until honey bought me the tractor and said put in a pond! lol
Every house I have had has had a pond, from small to large.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
they sell a low water switch at tractor supply that is the one I have .

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I think mine was around 30 dollars and had a long cord but i had a coupon and it was for a sump pump .You just plug your pump into it .I saw one also at harbor freight I think that was cheaper friday but not sure it was the same as mine

Ask a Question