septic lateral lines

Reaction score
We had an 18" deep pond in our backyard when we moved in 10 years ago. After developing some leaks and other problems we decided to tear everything out and start over. One decision was to dig it deeper, at least 36". When I started digging I found some septic lateral lines about 2' deep that I didn't know were there. Can I just leave the lateral lines where they are now, put in a new liner and live with an 18" deep pond or should I fill it all in and relocate it? The pond now is 9' X 14' X 18" deep.

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
So what you have is a pond built over a septic leaching field. You cannot remove the pipes for the septic system and you are taking a chance if there is a problem that that area will have to be dug up. I would try to find another area if possible for your pond. I know Sissy has her pond located near her septic area and had no problems. Maybe she will post on this.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
No question I would relocate and go for deeper, 18" is all within striking distance of the great blue heron.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I would move the pond also. You never know when you might get a septic disaster. And go deeper.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Agree, another location is better. The problem with your current location is the pond prevents about 126 sq ft of septic effulent evaporation. And the pond is limited in depth. Disrupting the lateral lines is not a good idea. Additionally, tear out and installation might require driving a vehicle over the area which is deadly to leach fields. It is heartbreaking. A septic leach field is a huge, clear area, begging for a pond but...
Stephen

Reaction score
Thanks for the suggestions. As much as I hated to, I guess I'm going to have to move it. On the bright side, at least now I can go deeper and make some of the changes I've been saying I'm going to do for years.
Ron

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Yep my pond is near the tank but the lateral lines are below the tank .I use the tank for heat .All septic systems have 2 tanks 1 for solids and one for liquids and it is the solid one that needs cleaned .Putting a pond over the lines is never a good idea ,They need to leach into the surrounding soil .I had my septic plans since it was all done for us and I knew right where everything was as Murphy construction took pics of it and also mapped it out for me .The county wanted the septic system put on the side yard but that is my other lot .I bought 3 lots all just over an acre and that was done for resale reasons or if my sons wanted to put a house .My house and septic system and well is on the center lot .Not sure where your pond is but this would give you a chance to maybe make it better for viewing it .Most times wells and septic systems plans are registered with your county health or building departments .Here it is both .It was a small 5 dollar fee for a copy .

Ask a Question