Serious Algae problem

Reaction score
Wasn't sure if to post this here or on the Pond subsection.

Last year we started to get long strands of algae in the pond.
Over the winter, it's become horrendous.

Pond%20Algae.jpg

It's everywhere in the pond.
Can anyone tell me what I've got and how to fight it?

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Wasn't sure if to post this here or on the Pond subsection.

Last year we started to get long strands of algae in the pond.
Over the winter, it's become horrendous.

Pond%20Algae.jpg

It's everywhere in the pond.
Can anyone tell me what I've got and how to fight it?

Can't really tell from the photo, but based on your description, you have filamentous (String) algae. This is usually a sign of an elevated Phosphorus level. A properly applied Phosphorus binder such as PhosOut or PhosClear will quickly remedy the problem.

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Amazing how the coldest of cold doesn't kill that stuff. I have it in mine too.

Yep, pretty hardy stuff. It is really unfortunate that it can detract from the looks of a pond because filmentous algae can probably do more for water quality than the best biofilter on the market. Nature knows!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
I remove the worst of mine with a long handled garden rake, just twist it around it and pull it out. I leave some in the pond, as the koi munch on it in the spring, as the pond is coming to life. I find once it warms up and the aerator and filter are running, it's not a problem.

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Algae seems pretty normal after winter. Maybe from all the debris, visible and nonvisible that gets in there over the winter. I don't seem to have as much this year in my new pond than I did last year in my smaller pond. Its mostly just around the few lily stems that I never had a chance to cut off.

Reaction score
Thanks for all the replies.

I've ordered the product. Going to have a big clean out on the weekend before I add it. Filter, pump and try to pull the worse of the weed out by hand.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
We leave ours alone too. It's the earliest "plant" to make an appearance in the pond. Right now it's green and lovely and we still had ice on most of the pond less than a week ago - pretty hardy stuff. I've always assumed it does what every "desirable" pond plants does, it just doesn't look so great while it's doing it! I pull it out if it gets too heavy in any one area, but the fish do eat it and it disappears once the rest of the plants get growing.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Can't really tell from the photo, but based on your description, you have filamentous (String) algae. This is usually a sign of an elevated Phosphorus level. A properly applied Phosphorus binder such as PhosOut or PhosClear will quickly remedy the problem.
Hey Meyer, I never used the products you mentioned but had a couple of questions. What temperatures should they be applied? If applied to early before the filters are up in running fully, will is cause issues due to killing off the natural filtration of the algae?

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Hey Meyer, I never used the products you mentioned but had a couple of questions. What temperatures should they be applied? If applied to early before the filters are up in running fully, will is cause issues due to killing off the natural filtration of the algae?
In answer to your first question, Phosphorus binders work at any temperature. The answer to your second question is not quite so simple. First of all, we are talking controlling filamentous algae not the other attached and planktonic specie which will remain. The re-activation rate of bioconversion (Filters) is determined by 1) Temperature and 2) availability of Ammonia. At low temperatures, the respiration rate of fish is also low. As a result, very little Ammonia is released into the water. As temperatures rise, the metabolic and respiration rate increase releasing more Ammonia into the water. In addition, as temperatures increase more of this Ammonia is non-ionized or free ammonia which is what the Ammonia Oxidizing Bacteria (AOB) require to function and grow. So the re-activation rate of bioconversion is doubly linked to temperature; directly and indirectly.
If there is an algae growth (non-filamentous), then, because most algae is Nitrate dependent, there must be Nitrate present in the water column. For this to occur, some bio-conversion must be taking place or the pond has carried an elevated Nitrate level for some time.
Elimination of filamentous algae will have very minimal effect on water quality, but because of its mechanical filtering abilities, water clarity may be effective.
If filamentous algae is allowed to grow over an extended period of time, it can, indirectly, be minimally beneficial to water quality. Nitrate dependent algae will actually colonize the surface area of the filamentous algae (epiphytic algae) (see photo).
periphyton epiphytic.jpg

Ask a Question