Server Move

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
At some point in the next week (between 5th-12th April), we'll be moving the Garden Pond Forum from the current server to a nice shiny new one :D.

It should be a little bit faster, but the main reason for the move is to make sure that we're able to keep current with PHP/MySQL releases that run the forum software.

The move should be relatively painless, with perhaps ~30 mins or so when I'll need to "freeze" the site so that no content is lost during the move. Once that is done, it will take some time for DNS servers to catch up with the new server location... however I will do my best to make sure that the old server can share the new database so this isn't a problem.

Once I know a little more about when the move will take place, I'll post more here. I'm going to try and wait for a quiet time when not many people are online and then pounce :).

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
geeze your gonna freeze us Ian BRRRRR oh my gosh you gonna attack us too . :razz:

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Go for it Ian, anytime is good for me and I wouldn't mind being on when the bomb drops as a little action in life gets the blood flowing freely :razz:

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
I'm going to start the transfer in just a moment - so hold on to your hats :).

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
And we're back :)

It may be a little slow for the next day or so while there are some background things going on, but after that it will speed up hugely!

I'd ask that people hold off uploading attachments to the site for the next 24h, just as they may end up on the old server. It should be fine 24h from this post though :).

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
lol and i just uploaded some pics before I read this..............no biggy though

Thanks for all the hard work Ian

Ask a Question