Setting large stones on my liners. I need a better way!

Reaction score
I am trying to hide my liner underneath a large bog waterfall I built.

Don't want to mortar it in because I have two 3700 gph pumps with 1" flex poking out the front and want to hide them.

This is a very visual area of this huge water feature and I don't want a big ugly eyesore there.

There.... I added a pic to save words.

The area with the 3 large flagstones is my issue.

Those are sitting on other flagstones on top of about 4 layers of .45 mil liner material.

I didn't think this out when I built it I don't think.

That's way too much weight on the pond liner itself I think.

I noticed two of the flagstones settling down about an inch into the liner.

More weight is just going to punch a hole in it.

Any thoughts?

Solutions would be even better...... :D

after3.jpg

This may sound simplistic, but I need a better way than to set large stones on cinder blocks in my pond.

morewater

President, Raccoon Haters International
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
IMO, the simplest and easiest fix is to remove the large flags, dig it down to the required depth and replace the stones. Anything else you do is going to just be a patch.

From the looks of it, this wouldn't be a large undertaking.

Reaction score
You have no clue what a humungous undertaking that would be....

I've been building this pond feature in phases....

Customer gets a wild idea and we do what it takes to make it happen sort of thing.

That bog is enormous and I cut into two of my drop ponds to build it.

My waterfall drop is mortared in,set on cinder blocks underneath layers of liner on top of some soil mixed with Portland cement.

My solution needs to be something that I can do with what I have.

But, I do agree.

It's an accident waiting to happen.

Reaction score
j.w. someone posted something on that a few weeks ago and I looked at it.

Others may have a different opinion, but my impression was "Cheesy"

May be good in some applications, but this is a VERY visual spot from the main and guest houses on this property.

That stuff may look better than a lot of liner, but you can tell it's fake.

I've gone to GREAT lengths to make everything look and feel natural.

They ought to come up with a faux rock collection.

Anyone ever seen some CUSHY STUFF that I can submerse and set my stones on and will last forever?

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
I have never used it myself but others here may be able to show you what it looks like in their ponds now after a few years of being on there.

Troutredds

You can call me Red
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
We set many large basalt boulders in our stream and waterfall on top of thick sheets of high density styrofoam insulation, to protect our liner from puncturing. The foam sandwiched between the rock and liner cushions and distributes the weight evenly. The extra styrofoam was cut away and any left exposed was covered with mortar. River rock and gravel were applied to the mortar when wet, for a natural appearance.

Reaction score
Side conversation... 3,700 gph pumps through 1" tube? Must be killing your flow rate down to far less.

Right now, both of them are blowing fine, but open ended to give the feature a look of a pond on top of the gravel....

Not going to be a REAL BOG... More of a water feature with plants that grow in water.

If you look at the pic above, I'm standing in the real hydroponic filtration system for that drop.

1" is gurgling above the surface and it's 12" down... lol

Reaction score
I recently bought some of the rock on a roll. I wasn't impressed on first opening it. I have liner under my waterfall area that I needed to hide. I put the ROAR there, I literally just cut a strip and stuck it there. Had I spent more time either cutting it and stick it like rocks, or hiding the edges under rocks it would look pretty good by now. Its been about 4 weeks, its all mossy and looks pretty good (except the edges - as explained I just cut it as a strip).

If Water will be flowing over that section then ROAR will do a pretty good job.

I can take some pictures this weekend if you want to see.

Reaction score
We set many large basalt boulders in our stream and waterfall on top of thick sheets of high density styrofoam insulation, to protect our liner from puncturing. The foam sandwiched between the rock and liner cushions and distributes the weight evenly. The extra styrofoam was cut away and any left exposed was covered with mortar. River rock and gravel were applied to the mortar when wet, for a natural appearance.

Have any pics?

Kind of on the same wave length here.

Not going to have any river rock or gravel at the bottom.

Eventually, plant material will cover a lot of the eyesore stuff........ BUT .... it's still there and will be highly visible in the off non growing season.

PANTS DOWN is what I call it.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I am trying to hide my liner underneath a large bog waterfall I built.

Don't want to mortar it in because I have two 3700 gph pumps with 1" flex poking out the front and want to hide them.

This is a very visual area of this huge water feature and I don't want a big ugly eyesore there.

There.... I added a pic to save words.

The area with the 3 large flagstones is my issue.

Those are sitting on other flagstones on top of about 4 layers of .45 mil liner material.

I didn't think this out when I built it I don't think.

That's way too much weight on the pond liner itself I think.

I noticed two of the flagstones settling down about an inch into the liner.

More weight is just going to punch a hole in it.

Any thoughts?

Solutions would be even better...... :D

View attachment 76931

This may sound simplistic, but I need a better way than to set large stones on cinder blocks in my pond.

You just need some rocks with rounded ends. The liner would be fine that way.

Reaction score
I recently bought some of the rock on a roll. I wasn't impressed on first opening it. I have liner under my waterfall area that I needed to hide. I put the ROAR there, I literally just cut a strip and stuck it there. Had I spent more time either cutting it and stick it like rocks, or hiding the edges under rocks it would look pretty good by now. Its been about 4 weeks, its all mossy and looks pretty good (except the edges - as explained I just cut it as a strip).

If Water will be flowing over that section then ROAR will do a pretty good job.

I can take some pictures this weekend if you want to see.

Would love to see a pic.

If you look under the bog in my pic above,

I have a large area to cover and I don't think it will get a ton of algae under the bog filter.

after2.jpg

Ask a Question