Setting plastic lattice over pond

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
I live in the snowbelt in Northeast Ohio. We just got dumped on last Thursday with 14 inches of heavy, wet snow. Although we are used to a lot of snow, we are not used to it this early in the season. The leaves are still on 50% of the trees. My pond was all ready for winter although it was still netted because I have a willow tree close to the pond that has about 90% of its leaves yet to lose (willows are usually the last of the trees to lose their leaves around here). My pond also stays netted 24/7 because of coons and herons, etc. Well, due to the snow, I had to take the net off because the weight of the snow sunk the net into the pond, and we are expecting more snow tonight. I cannot have the net freeze into the pond water or onto the rocks. It scares me to death to keep my fish unprotected. I went and bought a sheet of white plastic lattice at Home Depot and laid it across the pond today. It is "tightly woven," meaning the holes are only about 1" in diameter. The lattice sheet covers the majority of my small pond, and I put two poles underneath to help support the lattice above the water. I am hoping that the lattice helps to keep the majority of the willow leaves out and helps to protect the fish, but I am afraid I am missing a disadvantage here to having the lattice on the pond. Can you guys think of anything I'm not? Thanks.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
Sounds like a creative solution. My husband built a pvc frame to keep our net off the surface of the pond......but I have my doubts it would hold up to 14 inches of wet snow - yikes!

Reaction score
That's a lot of snow!!!

If you have any doubts about the lattice keeping the leaves out, I guess you could put the net over the lattice.

Very creative solution.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
We use Polycarbonate Roofing sheets over ours anita , we put then on when the temp dips bellow 10c and take them off again as it raises above 10c in the spring

Dave

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
Germany
Good pointers on here, because some winters we get quite a bit of snow and before that, in fall the leaves are a major problem, that is why one of my weekend projects this coming weekend will be doing what Tula's husband has come up with and building a frame as well. Ive decided to use Bamboo, make a rectangular frame, use 2-3 PVC pipes to form a half dome effect. Then will attach a fine net to it, for use in fall and should winterfall be bad I will then probably cover part of the dome with Plastic sheeting or something like Perspex, those hard but flexi plastic sheets.

peter hillman

Let me think for minute....
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
3-5
Country
United States
I have a Sunburst Locust tree that hangs partially over the pond. The shade it provides is necessary for the health and beauty of my pond but those tiny little leaves are driving me crazy. Been thinking about covering for the last couple years but just haven't. This creates a major clean out in the spring.

sunburst-honeylocust.jpg

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I use window screen it is finer and anything blows right off the window screening .I can't get it wide enough so i hand sew it with fishing line and use electrical conduit and make a pocket at each end to put the window screening around .Plus if there are frogs the little legs will not get caught in the screening

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
This is my setup unconventional but it works great .Electrical conduit can come up to 30 ft lengths .It was 12 dollars and they even cut it for me to the length I needed .I used plastic pipe on the bridge because it was easier to bend and attch to the bridge in an arch

Attachments

• pond sept 2015 009.JPG
    pond sept 2015 009.JPG
    173.3 KB · Views: 325
  • pond sept 2015 011.JPG
    pond sept 2015 011.JPG
    193.9 KB · Views: 264
  • pond sept 2015 002.JPG
    pond sept 2015 002.JPG
    169.9 KB · Views: 235
  • pond sept 2015 005.JPG
    pond sept 2015 005.JPG
    171.6 KB · Views: 241
  • pond sept 2015 012.JPG
    pond sept 2015 012.JPG
    200.6 KB · Views: 279
  • pond sept 2015 007.JPG
    pond sept 2015 007.JPG
    185.8 KB · Views: 242

peter hillman

Let me think for minute....
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
3-5
Country
United States
This is my setup unconventional but it works great .Electrical conduit can come up to 30 ft lengths .It was 12 dollars and they even cut it for me to the length I needed .I used plastic pipe on the bridge because it was easier to bend and attch to the bridge in an arch
I like it! looks like you can slide it back a bit too see what's going on.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I just roll it up around the pipe and no worry about birdie feet getting stuck and leaves just blow away .I close up the middle when the leaves do blow around here but it is open in the middle right now so I can net the bottom of fish poo or in my case frogs that Aggie (my koi ) kills and I get the outsides after she sucks out the insides .I try to make it simple for me to do .Hoop house for shade right now .You can see right through the screening but the opening in the center makes it easy for me to clean the pond .Plus keeps fish from jumping out during spawning .I had the one side off when aggie jumped out ,I was cleaning the pump .Window screening is fairly cheap also .

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Design your structure so an overwhelming force will flatten it easy, and then intact, is easy to put back up after the snow storm has passed...

Regards, andy

Ask a Question