Setting up my automatic feeders

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10b
Country
Australia
I have my pond set up so it requires no maintenance for a few months. But feeding the koi while I am away on holidays is tackled by using automatic feeders.
How I set up my feeders is in the following video. Automatic Fish Feeder setup for pond
Each feeder feeds once per day if I am away for a long time. If a short time then I usually have only one feeder set up and set it for 3 times a day (depending on season)
Ray

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10b
Country
Australia
Those are some gorgeous fish you have! How much food do the auto feeders hold?
Thanks Lisa. Each auto feeder holds about 1/4 of a gallon of pellets (roughly). So with my Koi in summer eating a lot each day I have used 3 feeders all set up to feed at different times of the day. I set each one so it dispenses enough food so that each feeder lasts for maybe 3 weeks before running out. Also if anything goes wrong with one then the two others keep going. The feeders I use are pretty reliable and totally weather resistant and I am pretty happy with them overall. For only a week or so away (or during the cooler months then only 1 feeder works well for those situations. I used to not worry too much about feeding them while away but once I was away and then delayed getting back and after a week they had eaten all my waterlillies and apparently once Koi have done that once they will always eat any in the pond (and mine did continually). The feeders have worked well for me for quite a few years now.

Ray

Ask a Question