Setting up new pond

Reaction score
Country
United States
I just set up a new pond in my backyard all by myself. I am completely new to this and there is so much information out there but its hard to get a clear answer. This my set up........
I have a skimmer goes into a pump. The pump is then connected to a UV Clarifier and then goes into a waterfall spillway. I have 2 Koi and some small goldfish in the pond. Been running for 2 months but with no major problems. My question is do I need a Bio Filter? I put some Bio balls on the top of my waterfall so water and air would combine as it re enters into the pond but the bio balls aren't submerged and I'm not exactly sure how it works. Are the Bio Balls good enough for a bio system? Am I doing it right?
Any advice would be helpful!

DutchMuch

Lord Of The Aquascapes!
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Before you add fish to a pond, you need to cycle it. Cycling a pond is when you achieve beneficial bacteria growth in a large amount, or stable amount, and it control's ammonia and nitrites.
Levels normally should be:
Ammonia 0ppm (parts per million)
Nitrite 0ppm
Nitrate 2-10ppm preferably imo
There are 100's of thousands of articles on how to cycle a pond properly you could look up. I just gave you the basic rundown.
Some people use a wet dry filter for bio filtration you could look into, I have personally never done that though so im no use there.
Bio balls are a great source for benefical bacteria to grow and accumulate on. Make sure they are submerged (unless wet dry method) in the ponds filter, or wherever... if they are emersed from the water or filter, as far as I know, they will not grow.
Do you have a test kit? (such as API master test kit, or ALA master test kit preferably?) to tell your levels, if so what are your levels & phosphates?
Size of pond also?
Thanks!
Welcome to GPF! :ROFLMAO:

Reaction score
Country
United States
Thanks for the reply. The pond is only 450 Gallons so not too big. I've had the fish in there for 2 months now and swim pretty well so they look healthy. I do not have a test kit. Could I pick one up at Petsmart, etc?

I thought I read that my bio balls were supposed to be able to get air so I put them on top of the grate that exits the waterfall but I can put them in the waterfall if neccessary. Is that what I should do? Also is a Bio Filter necessary or will the Bio balls do the same thing? My waterfall instruction just said to add media in the middle and thats it.

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Thanks for the reply. The pond is only 450 Gallons so not too big. I've had the fish in there for 2 months now and swim pretty well so they look healthy. I do not have a test kit. Could I pick one up at Petsmart, etc?

I thought I read that my bio balls were supposed to be able to get air so I put them on top of the grate that exits the waterfall but I can put them in the waterfall if neccessary. Is that what I should do? Also is a Bio Filter necessary or will the Bio balls do the same thing? My waterfall instruction just said to add media in the middle and thats it.

Who manufactured the waterfall unit?

Reaction score
Country
United States
Awesome. Ill pick one up tomorrow. Do you think the Bio Balls will be good enough or do I need to spend another 100 for a Bio Filter set up too?

DutchMuch

Lord Of The Aquascapes!
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Well, it does depend on the size of the compartment you have them in, and how full that is with balls.
And more filtration Never hurts

DutchMuch

Lord Of The Aquascapes!
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
how full is it with bio balls?
once you get the test kit, and it cycles, I would just watch your parameters and let them do the talking as to if you should buy more filtration.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Its not full at all. Probably a cubic foot or so. But from the sound of it as long as I fill up the waterfall with more bio balls and place the balls inside it I should be good right?

DutchMuch

Lord Of The Aquascapes!
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Fill it up more, like I said let the parameters do the talking otherwise (y)

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
This unit, Atlantic BF1600 should have come with at least one bag to contain filter media. If not mesh laundry bags will work just as good. Depending on the size bag used, it may take two (2) or more filled with bio-balls to fill the filter unit, but the unit should be full. These bags should be placed directly over the filter mats that came with the unit.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Welcome and you don't say size or gallons of water .To late to warn you about koi since they are there ( wish someone warned me ).Mine are over 2 feet long and in 5000 gallons .Goldfish breed a lot .I have seen most bio balls in bags .

Ask a Question