Setting up new pond

DutchMuch

Lord Of The Aquascapes!
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Welcome and you don't say size or gallons of water .To late to warn you about koi since they are there ( wish someone warned me ).Mine are over 2 feet long and in 5000 gallons .Goldfish breed a lot .I have seen most bio balls in bags .
your right I didn't notice he said that either, yea koi isn't the best option for this setup even if its just 2 they get BiG !
next time I will be sure to call you up here sissy!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6A
Country
United States
your right I didn't notice he said that either, yea koi isn't the best option for this setup even if its just 2 they get BiG !
next time I will be sure to call you up here sissy!

You need to make the pond a 1000 gallons or you gonna have to move the koi in a year. You'll pick up green water soon IMO.

Bioballs are very good for the filtration... Just gotta come up with a plan on how to get rid of the nitrates eventually.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I love to hate koi ;):)2 monsters in my pond have won my heart but way to big .no one warned me and sure glad I only bought 2 of them .I paid a whole 2 dollars a piece .Hard to get a pic of bert because he is black
pics on durecell back up 124.JPG
pics on durecell back up 610.JPG

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Since you all are talking about koi size, I have a question... I always thought fish would only get as large as their environment would allow. I'm guessing this is not the case for koi? I only have 1 in my small pond and I hate to get rid of him if he gets too big. Also, do they become aggressive to smaller fish when they get bigger?

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
sometimes they eat them .Before I built my bigger pond I had a preformed but had to wait until front porch was built and they were getting big for the preformed .They were about 2 or 3 inch's long and when I moved them the were already 8 and 9 inch's long .They are now over 2 feet long

DutchMuch

Lord Of The Aquascapes!
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Since you all are talking about koi size, I have a question... I always thought fish would only get as large as their environment would allow.
that would be stunting the fishes growth, also effects mental health

Ask a Question