Severely bloated fish

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We inherited a pond and fish when we bought our house 14 months ago. One fish has always had a bloated appearance but has been fine so we assumed this was just how this fish was. Over the last couple of days the bloating has increased & the fish has become very slow. The bloating has made it near impossible for the poor thing to swim and she/he is permanently upside down. It can’t turn over. The photo is the best I could get. I gently touched it and it’s bulging is soft. The eyes are bulging but the scales look ok.

What it the best thing to do for this fish? All other fish are absolutely fine.

Thank you in advance.
Katie

Attachments

• E6E43D1D-DD72-471B-A0EB-94BAD9DEB519.jpeg
    E6E43D1D-DD72-471B-A0EB-94BAD9DEB519.jpeg
    192.4 KB · Views: 414
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Welcome @KatieLou . You've come to a good place for advice, and I'm sure someone here will be able to help. Best wishes for you fish.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Welcome @KatieLou . Sorry that it's the sad state of your fish that brings you to the forum, but I hope once this is resolved, you will stick around and share more about your pond with us.

This fish does indeed appear to be in dire straits. @MitchM - any advice for this pond owner?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
That’s egg impaction. She produced eggs but can’t expel them. I’m sorry but there is no fix. Females usually either expel them or reabsorb over the winter. She is suffering, and her ovaries are crushing her internal organs, so the damage is permanent and progressive. You should put her down.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada

This fish does indeed appear to be in dire straits. @MitchM - any advice for this pond owner?

Fish disease is not my forte.
It looks too severe for an air bladder problem.
I would go with what carolinaguy has suggested.
It does not sound promising for the fish, unfortunately.
Clove oil is the preferred method of euthanasia, I believe.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Oh dear, it doesn’t look good then. Thank you for your replies. Could this egg impaction have been the case all this time (over 14 months) and is now just really taking its toll? She is still on her back unable to turn over. When I turn her she just rolls straight back over again. Poor thing is gasping and I don’t want her to suffer any longer, so will look into getting some clove oil.

Thank you again,
Katie

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
Oh dear, it doesn’t look good then. Thank you for your replies. Could this egg impaction have been the case all this time (over 14 months) and is now just really taking its toll? She is still on her back unable to turn over. When I turn her she just rolls straight back over again. Poor thing is gasping and I don’t want her to suffer any longer, so will look into getting some clove oil.

Thank you again,
Katie

ive seen fish fight the impaction issue for a year or more. sometimes it resolves, sometimes not. that's why some ponders only keep all females or all males.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
I concur with the others that she's egg bound, especially as the bloating is symmetrical. Humane euthanasia is what I'd recommend. So sorry :(

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Thank you all for your advice. Unfortunately, before I had chance to get the clove oil, the fish died. I hope she didn't suffer too much. But thank you again, this forum is really helpful and I shall certainly be coming back when I have another query, which is inevitable as I have never had fish before. So glad we kept them with the house though (the seller did say he would find somewhere for them if we didn't want them), I have really enjoyed them over the last few months and hope to do so for many more to come.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Oh that’s sad... but now you know that she was indeed failing fast.

Go on over to the introductions area and show and tell your pond! We love to see ponds!

Ask a Question