Sewer Pond

Reaction score
Desoto, Texas (Dallas County) North Texas, Zone 8a
Showcase(s):
Our pond is inundated with cypress needles. Water level is low. The pump has been off for weeks. Freezing temps at night, very cold during the day. Even with the needles the water was crystal clear. Today, I noticed the cypress needles had sank but water was clear. Hours later our pond smells and looks like gray sewage. The smell pollutes the air from about 50 feet away. I'm so ashamed. The earliest the pond can be fully scooped by my son is the 18th.

I just turned on the pump so the external filter is operating. The water flowing back in the pond is foamy. My assumption is the bacteria is producing the foam. Tomorrow morning I will purchase products to break down sludge and clarify the water. What else can be immediately done? What should I do if pond products are not available? That smell must be eliminated. By mid morning I should be able to add water. Surely our neighbors will/are very upset. I plan to drain the pond on the 18th. That is the earliest my son can come down to do the heavy debris removal. That too, is dependent on the temperature.

Your help is certainly appreciated. This is one more reason I think the pond should be filled.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
I'm sorry Big Lou :( If it were my pond, I'd begin my over flowing the pond for awhile. It seems odd it went from ok, to bad, in just a few hours. Can you think of anything that could have happened?

peter hillman

Let me think for minute....
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
3-5
Country
United States
Pump out that water replace with new. Best you can do for now.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I'm sorry Big Lou :( If it were my pond, I'd begin my over flowing the pond for awhile. It seems odd it went from ok, to bad, in just a few hours. Can you think of anything that could have happened?
One day the needles were floating the next sunk. We had a thunderstorm so I thought that caused the needles to sink. Should I still put in the products I mentioned?

Thanks

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
That sludge might be great for the garden if you can dig it into the soil. Flushing the old water out and new water in would be fine. Not sure you need the other products.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Stirring w/or w/o pump would help get the bottom gunk out better. You can stir it up w/ a net. Can pull out bottom gunk w/net also.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
I think you're doing the best you can till Sean gets there. Circulation and fresh water.....I personally wouldn't use products. Don't despair :)

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Having no fish of importance, I would drain the pond. This will facilitate the cleaning of it when that can be done. You will know that the issue has been rectified.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Having no fish of importance, I would drain the pond. This will facilitate the cleaning of it when that can be done. You will know that the issue has been rectified.
I am seriously considering empting the pond but am concerned about the remained wet debris that will remain there until the 18th and of course any new water rain or melting snow. I believe you feel draining now is more benefical than leaving the approximate 2300 plus gallons of water in the pond. I would of course drain the out of pond filter unit and all hoses.

Thanks Jordan.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6A
Country
United States
Agree with changing water. With mosquito fish you can easily go down to the last 5% and still keep a population.

Ask a Question