Shall I fire it up?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,
After some weeks of head scratching and bumbling around I've finally finished my "bog in a box" filter. All I need to do is attach a hose and press play. HOWEVER, the weather has taken a turn for the worse, it's cold and wet and the garden plants are beginning to wind down. To cap it all, my fish are in hiding under a floating wodge of plants and have refused to come out for three days now (I've never known them to forego their meals before, either). Is it the wrong time to try it out, would it be better to wait for the spring, which is at least five months away? We never know what kind of winter we'll have. It could include a prolonged freeze or could be warm'ish and wet throughout.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I think you can go either way. If it will freeze a lot where you are, firing it up over winter will mean you'll want to watch the return to pond to make sure ice doesn't direct water out of the pond. But I think there will not be much biological filtering going on over winter, so probably fine to wait until early spring as well.

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
You can go either way but just make sure that if the bog has plants in it already, it needs to have water in it. The plants will die if they dry out.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
You can go either way but just make sure that if the bog has plants in it already, it needs to have water in it. The plants will die if they dry out.
No plants in it yet, got some bacopa rooting happily in a pot of clay balls, and have other plants waiting to go in.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
No plants in it yet, got some bacopa rooting happily in a pot of clay balls, and have other plants waiting to go in.
a new bog owner...you're one lucky dog...oh, wait, you already ARE a LuckyDog!! :D :D :D

Ask a Question