Shallow pond idea

Joshaeus

Water hawthorn, Aponogeton Distachyos
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Hi everyone! I am planning on setting up a container pond in a raised bed this spring and wanted to get input on my setup. Here we go;

Pond: A 38.5 inch wide, 15 inch high round Beckett pond liner, which holds 35 gallons. I was going to keep it under a portable greenhouse, at least during the earlier part of the growing season, and at least partially bury it in the raised bed.
Lighting: Lots of direct sun during summer. Don't know exactly how much, but if I recall correctly direct sun usually strikes the raised bed by 7am in the morning and is blocked by nearby buildings mid-late afternoon during the summer.
Plants: TBD. I want a water lily of some kind, but other plants I am strongly considering include hardy hibiscus, water hawthorn, water snowflakes...obviously not all of those would fit in a relatively small pond (the plant selection needs to be narrowed down). Ideally any marginals I use should either be hardy or easily overwintered indoors. I was going to use fabric planters for all of the plants.
Setup schedule; I would set up the water garden under the greenhouse in early April; when the plants are added will depend heavily on water temperatures, which will likely not track very well with the air temperatures outside due to the greenhouse. I may remove the greenhouse if it gets too hot during the summer, and perhaps set it up again during fall to extend my season further.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
I have a similar set up (only open-air, no greenhouse) at the side of my main pond. Unless there are very dwarfed varieties, I'm guessing water lilies might not have enough room or depth. But I use mine for lotus and they are happy in there! I have parrot's feather floating on the top and the lotus shoot up out of the water. They are a VERY neat plant and a real showstopper!

Joshaeus

Water hawthorn, Aponogeton Distachyos
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I have a similar set up (only open-air, no greenhouse) at the side of my main pond. Unless there are very dwarfed varieties, I'm guessing water lilies might not have enough room or depth. But I use mine for lotus and they are happy in there! I have parrot's feather floating on the top and the lotus shoot up out of the water. They are a VERY neat plant and a real showstopper!
I'll consider lotus...they need water temperatures consistently above 70 fahrenheit in order to grow and bloom, right?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Honestly I am not sure. I think there are varieties that can handle different temperature ranges. I am down here in Satan's armpit, so it is hot, hot, hot! (Not right now, though!)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
United States
What about Nymphoides cordata (Little Floating-Heart), which are a native perennial to New England and cute little mini-lily-like floating leaves of 1-3" across with delicate flowers?
https://gobotany.nativeplanttrust.org/species/nymphoides/cordata/?pile=non-thalloid-aquatic
https://www.wildflower.org/plants/result.php?id_plant=NYCO
This can grow in shallow water, as little a 6", so good for small ponds, and the scaled down floating leaves won't take up the entire pond so you can do some other things in there too. I'm probably going to be putting it in my 60 gallon pond this year. Some varieties of Nymphoides have yellow flowers (and are invasive and illegal to import, at least in Vermont), but the native ones (to New England) only come in white I think. I'm not sure if they will overwinter outside in a completely frozen pond, but a pond that size (covered) is super easy to heat in the winter with just a single 300watt (or perhaps less) titanium aquarium heater: I know since I've been doing it all winter here in Vermont. With an aquarium heater, you more or less control the water temperature: not completely mind you (my water is definitely cold right now, but not frozen), but in the summer, you can make that water close to the temperature you need (other than the risk of overheating on sunny days).

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
United States

Ask a Question