Shallow ponds in the winter

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
I have 2 roundish, 10 gallon containers in my flower bed that are home to a few frogs right now. They are at most maybe 10" deep, but probably only 8". I will take the pumps out of them, I'm sure living in south central PA that they will freeze. I'm concerned about the frogs that are calling them home right now.

Should I empty them before the water freezes so the frogs move on, or will the frogs find better winter accommodations on their own? I have a 3' deep pond that I will keep open as best I can over the winter. I did just order the Pond Breather earlier this morning. I'm hoping that they make their way over there if they need to stay in water.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
I have one big(er) pond and 1 very small pond as well. The frog hanged out in the small pond most of the time but in winter I found it went hibernate in the big pond. So I think the frog will be ok :) But if you worry then you can empty it. I wouldnt though because there are so many other critters in there that would live through freeze (some how the dragon fly larvaes survived in the small pond).

My frog died though, the weather tricked it to think it was warm enough so it went back in the small pond that froze again (in MARCH!!) and the frog froze with it :(

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
I have 2 roundish, 10 gallon containers in my flower bed that are home to a few frogs right now. They are at most maybe 10" deep, but probably only 8". I will take the pumps out of them, I'm sure living in south central PA that they will freeze. I'm concerned about the frogs that are calling them home right now.

Should I empty them before the water freezes so the frogs move on, or will the frogs find better winter accommodations on their own? I have a 3' deep pond that I will keep open as best I can over the winter. I did just order the Pond Breather earlier this morning. I'm hoping that they make their way over there if they need to stay in water.
The other thing you could do is to bring these 10 gallon containers indoors for the winter months frogs and all...
If your worried about them hopping all over your home, then may I suggest you tie a net over the top of each.
Feeding them wouldnt be hard as live mealy worms would do.
Now the great thing about this is your giving your frogs a head start over their outside cousins when it comes to the mating game in the spring :happy:

Dave

Ask a Question