Shallow reflection pool / pond advice

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Not only will the shallow water heat up in the sun, but it will get very cold in winter. There is not much room for the fish to escape freezing temperatures and ice at the top of the pond.

To me, this just doesn't seem suitable for fish.
There’s a 1m x 1m x 1m sump there that they can get into in the winter etc

It’s 1m deeper infact so - about 1.2m depth - that be ok for them to dip in and out of ?

I thought this would be adequate

Last edited:
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
84DF3D6A-37EF-4A60-B216-409F3C9A588F.jpeg

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
The only way to have as little algae as possible is to keep the bio load as low as possible and or filtering the heck out of the water . I'D Think about a possible gutter along the water under the plants and let that water dump into that stone area and not the pond the fertilizers are not what you want in the water. a rdf filter is probably your best bet to sterilize the water as much as possible

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The only way to have as little algae as possible is to keep the bio load as low as possible and or filtering the heck out of the water . I'D Think about a possible gutter along the water under the plants and let that water dump into that stone area and not the pond the fertilizers are not what you want in the water. a rdf filter is probably your best bet to sterilize the water as much as possible
I can adjust the timer on the irrigation system so that it only just fills the pots - not overflows, and then tee off fresh water instead for topping up.

Guess I’m just curious if I can have clear polished black pebbles on the bottom or am I kidding myself here and they are gonna get covered in algae

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Guess I’m just curious if I can have clear polished black pebbles on the bottom or am I kidding myself here and they are gonna get covered in algae
You can have them there, but they will get covered up with dirt, algae, etc unless you do cleaning. ie vacuum etc

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
You can have them there, but they will get covered up with dirt, algae, etc unless you do cleaning. ie vacuum etc
Well it’s sounding like it might be a bit much maintenance - there’s a lot of stone and really don’t want to be in a position where I’ve to remove them and scrub them !

Thank you all for the advice / I’ve just dumped in some chlorine and I’ll add the stone and go from there / I can always revisit the fish idea at a later stage !

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Water evaporates the salt stays . Chlorine you need to constantly keep adding
So I'd like to add a question here... I used to be really up on my knowledge with aquariums but that was over a decade ago. We used to put trace salts in the aquarium even for fresh water fish. Is there any dosing information for ponds as I thought being the outside would negate the need and if you do use it, how do you avoid salt creep?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
They are looking for very contemporary semiotics Japanese garden black rocks in the water no algea . Next to impossible unless chlorine or salt is added in heavy doseage

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
should i buy one of those kits for pools / hot tubs with ph corrector / dip tests / algaecide and chlorine, or just drop chlorine in every week and cross my fingers lol :)
not sure how anal I need to be about it - i.e. should I try and keep the chlorine to a certain ppm and ph balanced? - or is having some chlorine in there enough

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Chlorine is potentially a very dangerous product . There's not much that is more lethal than chlorine gas. I'd research what the level should be a buy a simple test kit.

Ask a Question